Thread: New Ram Sticks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey,

I have only 1GB on my HP Pav. laptop.

I would like to upgrade.

Is their a limit to how much RAM I can put into my computer.

I went to crucial.com and did a scan. They said I could put 2GB into my computer and that my computer can handle 2048MB of RAM.

Is this correct?

Also is their such a thing as RAM sticks that you plug into your USB port?

Thanks,

Commonsense

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also,

I run windows Vista.

Will upgrading my RAM to 2GB from 1GB make a worthwhile difference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780633' date='19-Jun-2009 07:39']I have only 1GB on my HP Pav. laptop.
    I would like to upgrade.
    Is their a limit to how much RAM I can put into my computer.
    I went to crucial.com and did a scan. They said I could put 2GB into my computer and that my computer can handle 2048MB of RAM.
    Also is their such a thing as RAM sticks that you plug into your USB port?[/quote]
    If you gave Crucial the exact name and model number of your machine, you can believe what they tell you. On the other hand, since you're already planning to send the machine back to HP for repair (Post 780626) you could have HP put the max. memory in the machine. I don't know what the price difference would be between Crucial and HP.

Adding memory WILL definitely improve the performance of the computer. However, it depends on what you do with it whether the improvement will be discernible to you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Most Pavilion models can have at most 2 GB = 2048 MB of RAM. If you frequently have many applications open simultaneously, or use applications that use a lot of memory such as games or video editing software, you will definitely benefit from expanding your laptop's memory from 1 GB to 2 GB.

You can't use a USB memory stick as "main" memory - it's much too slow for that. But Windows Vista does have a feature called ReadyBoost that lets you use a USB memory stick to improve the performance of your computer - see Explore the features: Windows ReadyBoost and Microsoft Windows Vista & ReadyBoost: Does it Make a Difference?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.

Crucial had two 1GB stick I could put in for $16.99ea.

Is their a difference between DDR2 sticks as far as quality goes?

Commonsense

Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780649' date='19-Jun-2009 13:33']Crucial had two 1GB stick I could put in for $16.99ea.[/quote]
    You already have a 1 GB memory stick, so you just need 1 GB more.
    I have never had any problems with Crucial memory, and always get mine from there. They may be very slightly dearer than some other firms, but they would always replace a stick that had problems, instantly.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780649' date='19-Jun-2009 07:33']Is their a difference between DDR2 sticks as far as quality goes?[/quote]

You'd most likely be OK with any of the big names such as Kingston, Samsung, Corsair, etc. in addition to Crucial. I'd recommend Crucial also because:
    1.) they produce very high quality
    2.) if you do have any problems they are very easy to deal with.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='780652' date='19-Jun-2009 06:02']You already have a 1 GB memory stick, so you just need 1 GB more.[/quote]
    HP may have used both slots with two 512MB sticks... I know that's usually the cheaper option in the Dell configurator.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='780676' date='19-Jun-2009 14:22']HP may have used both slots with two 512MB sticks... I know that's usually the cheaper option in the Dell configurator.[/quote]
    And from my experience with them, when Crucial "scans" your machine, they'll tell you about your current setup. If you're right, $34 bucks isn't too bad to double the machine's memory, even with the pulling (and saving?) of two old 512 sticks.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='780676' date='19-Jun-2009 19:22']HP may have used both slots with two 512MB sticks... I know that's usually the cheaper option in the Dell configurator.[/quote]
    That is very true. I've found that pricing of memory can be quite anomalous - for the same total memory, two sticks can be cheaper or dearer than one. Probably comes down to availability/ market forces at the time.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...