Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy Midsummer from Sweden!

"Midsommarvaka"* - Swedish Rhapsody #1

* Midsummer Vigil.

¡(ʎlɹɐǝ sʎɐp ʍǝɟ ɐ) ɹǝʇuıʍpıɯ ʎddɐɥ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Argus. I haven't listened to it for a long time and it still puts me in mind of skipping merrilly across a wide grassland, filled with flowers blowing in a gentle breeze.

Probably sounds silly, but that's the thought I have whenever I listen to it.

PS I have a particular liking for oboes and flutes!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780641' date='19-Jun-2009 14:05']I haven't listened to it for a long time and it still puts me in mind of skipping merrilly across a wide grassland, filled with flowers blowing in a gentle breeze.[/quote]
    Heh, yes, that's the feeling I get many times.

I thought about adding a little picture or clipart or something, instead of the same Rhapsody link as last year, but most that you stumble upon is copyrighted or something, so I put that link in again. I then thought a quick Paint drawing could solve the "picture problem".
    [attachment=84354:midsummer.png]

Here is another piece that will bring the summer spirit to many Swedes, I guess.
    "Intåg i sommarhagen"; "Entry to the Summer Meadow" - by Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (1867-1942).

The pictures, however, are from the children's book "Putte in the blueberry forest" from 1901, by Elsa Beskow (1874-1953).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='780636' date='19-Jun-2009 07:49']Happy Midsummer from Sweden! [/quote]
    Thanks for that, Argus!

It's the same piece that's played on loudspeakers on the two bridges onto Cape Cod, as the tourists come merrily traipsing to the Cape in their overloaded vehicles, laden with every conceivable type of beach paraphernalia and outdoor gimmick known to man!
    The residents look forward to it every year!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='780663' date='19-Jun-2009 18:34']"Intåg i sommarhagen"; "Entry to the Summer Meadow" - by Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (1867-1942).[/quote]
    Lovely music, thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780695' date='19-Jun-2009 23:13']Lovely music, thanks.[/quote]
    Yes, it is, indeed. You are welcome.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33' post='780675 View Post
    The residents look forward to it every year!
    I can imagine that it's very nice there in the summer, hence it's popular. Perhaps too popular?

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='780711' date='19-Jun-2009 18:26']I can imagine that it's very nice there in the summer, hence it's popular. Perhaps too popular? [/quote]
    It's a GREAT place but yes, sometimes too popular.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='780636' date='19-Jun-2009 23:49']Happy Midsummer from Sweden!

"Midsommarvaka"* - Swedish Rhapsody #1

* Midsummer Vigil.[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Here is something for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere. In the Bleak Midwinter Gustav Holst
    Regards
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johnhutchison' post='780744' date='20-Jun-2009 07:34']Here is something for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere. In the Bleak Midwinter Gustav Holst[/quote]
    Thank you! I know a little about Holst since I have played one of his suites; however this one was new to me (even if it's a well known carol).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='780636' date='19-Jun-2009 04:49']Happy Midsummer from Sweden! [/quote]

This was a great was to start what was looking like a bleak day. I later shared it with my elderly mother who said, "Love this. Goes well with Friday night wrastling." (Reference to WWE Smackdown.) I'll have to try that later with the TV on mute.
    Daisy