New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

Windows Defender fails to initialize at start up. The same message appears: "Application fails to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this programs service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or search Help and Support on how to start manually."

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't believe Microsoft hasn't done something about this bug. It is really annoying. I've been dealing with it for months until I tried googling a solution.

So far I'm not sure if it is cleared up yet. I tried the safe mode, command prompt method. It wasn't that clear if anything happened . On the first re boot nothing happened. On the second reboot it seemed to be gone.

It still isn't clear how do users get into this problem? I'm guessing Avast may be the culprit. I've deleted it, also because the constant nag screens were annoying. Avira is just as bad. I'm going to try MS security essentials now and don't tell me to use Norton or Mcafee, I'm done with those system hogs also.

I'm about done with Vista also after trying win 7.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roho View Post
    I can't believe Microsoft hasn't done something about this bug. It is really annoying. I've been dealing with it for months until I tried googling a solution.

So far I'm not sure if it is cleared up yet. I tried the safe mode, command prompt method. It wasn't that clear if anything happened . On the first re boot nothing happened. On the second reboot it seemed to be gone.

It still isn't clear how do users get into this problem? I'm guessing Avast may be the culprit. I've deleted it, also because the constant nag screens were annoying. Avira is just as bad. I'm going to try MS security essentials now and don't tell me to use Norton or Mcafee, I'm done with those system hogs also.

I'm about done with Vista also after trying win 7.
    Roho,
    Hello,I am always puzzled when someone says that Norton is a "system hog" have you ever considered that windows "updates" will basically double your "OS if you apply all patches from the inception of VISTA till now? I have, and have the data to prove it! I have "ditched" ALL Windows / MS updates and run with Norton 360 v-2.5 and MalwareBytes . Guess most don't mind the "MS Bloat" but freak out about Norton. Buy the way my "Norton 360" footprint is 63.6MB After dumping all the MS updates my "OS" went from 14.6GB to (Now) 6.73GB with all my programs installed (and working) Go figure..... Regards Fred
    PS i have also removed "Windows Defender" as well as Norton switches it off anyway.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello,I am always puzzled when someone says that Norton is a "system hog" have you ever considered that windows "updates" will basically double your "OS if you apply all patches from the inception of VISTA till now? I have, and have the data to prove it! I have "ditched" ALL Windows / MS updates and run with Norton 360 v-2.5 and MalwareBytes . Guess most don't mind the "MS Bloat" but freak out about Norton. Buy the way my "Norton 360" footprint is 63.6MB After dumping all the MS updates my "OS" went from 14.6GB to (Now) 6.73GB with all my programs installed (and working)
    The term "system hog" when applied to security suites has almost always meant the impact on CPU and RAM usage not disk space. And the newest Norton versions are much lighter on systems than the older versions.

And now you've exposed your system to any number of flaws that can be exploited on an unpatched Vista system. "drive by" infections, cross site scripting, remote takeover, etc.,etc. All that can happen even though you've got Norton 360. It may not have happened yet but it could because you've decided to not patch Vista. You've deluded yourself into thinking you are safe. All in the name of saving a little disk space.

As was mentioned in a different thread the size taken up by Vista is misleading. The WinSXS folder has many "hard links" that lead to Windows Explorer counting files more than once in figuring size.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The term "system hog" when applied to security suites has almost always meant the impact on CPU and RAM usage not disk space. And the newest Norton versions are much lighter on systems than the older versions.

And now you've exposed your system to any number of flaws that can be exploited on an unpatched Vista system. "drive by" infections, cross site scripting, remote takeover, etc.,etc. All that can happen even though you've got Norton 360. It may not have happened yet but it could because you've decided to not patch Vista. You've deluded yourself into thinking you are safe. All in the name of saving a little disk space.

As was mentioned in a different thread the size taken up by Vista is misleading. The WinSXS folder has many "hard links" that lead to Windows Explorer counting files more than once in figuring size.

Joe
    Joe,
    Hello again , and thanks for your response. As i have been warned not to "hijack" a thread (by you) i will only answer briefly.However if you think that this should be discussed and is of interest at your word i will post a new thread. (maybe in a new topic forum "wacky OS's") First
    1. "system hog" How can you say that doubling your basic (not installed programs) "OS" has no or little effect on CPU or Ram usage? You can't make me believe that.
    2. "Delusional"... guilty as charged but my doctor says that im doing much better. So far it has been about 3 months or so since i have started this experiment, and using Norton 360 v2.5 although i have tried v3 and 3.5( they have some issues with Firefox.) also using Malwarebytes and Acronis "Try and Decide" when exploring the "WEB"
    3. Its not at all about "saving a little disk space" Its about having control over my PC and whats on it, , or more to the point whats not.
    4. The "size" is not misleading as my figures are correct, i use Tree size and my compressed numbers from my Acronis backups. Can you say more than DOUBLE your "OS".
    5. Security... What about that "Windows Update Agent " thing it puts active x stuff on your PC ..(got rid of that one too!)
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I suppose in some form the HDD could be considered a resource, but with todays HDD sizes this is a minor point. The resources available on a PC are indeed the CPU cycles and RAM. An OS installed on a hdd is sitting there until called upon, and then moved into RAM whether actual or virtual. At that point resources are being consumed. Yes the OS just sitting there consumes some resources, but if you monitor those resources you will see the OS is minimal when compared to other software and it's footprint on those same finite resources. Each software program consumes more of those resources. Norton has chronically consumed more than it's share of those finite resources than other comparable software programs that when compared too Norton have a higher capture rate.

It is up to you if you wish to leave opening for the nasties out there, but please do not recommend this to others who may believe you. All the experts I care to listen to and read state that the OS should be kept up to date. This is another level of protection, that combined with a good up to date AV will work to protect your system. Many of us just prefer to use an AV that is less obtrusive than Norton.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I suppose in some form the HDD could be considered a resource, but with todays HDD sizes this is a minor point. The resources available on a PC are indeed the CPU cycles and RAM. An OS installed on a hdd is sitting there until called upon, and then moved into RAM whether actual or virtual. At that point resources are being consumed. Yes the OS just sitting there consumes some resources, but if you monitor those resources you will see the OS is minimal when compared to other software and it's footprint on those same finite resources. Each software program consumes more of those resources. Norton has chronically consumed more than it's share of those finite resources than other comparable software programs that when compared too Norton have a higher capture rate.

It is up to you if you wish to leave opening for the nasties out there, but please do not recommend this to others who may believe you. All the experts I care to listen to and read state that the OS should be kept up to date. This is another level of protection, that combined with a good up to date AV will work to protect your system. Many of us just prefer to use an AV that is less obtrusive than Norton.
    Hello Ted,
    Thanks for your input. As i have previously stated (other posts) ,this is an "experiment " and am not recommending what i have done to anyone. My basic reason is i have had enough with the "cat chasing its tail" patch to patch patches thing . and view it as an absurdity. (the whole devcon thing) Patch ..don't patch ..go ahead and patch ...blah..blah... blah. So far no one has given me any good answer as why my logic or lack of is wrong as far as keeping the "nasties" out.Going on 3 months or so with only one "KB" ( .NetFramework v3.5 ) no problems so far. Not having to keep up with MicroSquishes monthly cycle is like being set free! and all my programs now are working again. (no buggyness) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    Thanks for your input. As i have previously stated (other posts) ,this is an "experiment " and am not recommending what i have done to anyone. My basic reason is i have had enough with the "cat chasing its tail" patch to patch patches thing . and view it as an absurdity. (the whole devcon thing) Patch ..don't patch ..go ahead and patch ...blah..blah... blah. So far no one has given me any good answer as why my logic or lack of is wrong as far as keeping the "nasties" out.Going on 3 months or so with only one "KB" ( .NetFramework v3.5 ) no problems so far. Not having to keep up with MicroSquishes monthly cycle is like being set free! and all my programs now are working again. (no buggyness) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ted,
    PlainFred