5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never learned how to actually use Excel's spreadsheet capabilities -- in my occasional use I just fill-in the cells with what I want to show there and format the row or column with the desired formatting. I'm using Excel 2000.

I have a column formatted as Currency and I want to add one cell below a list of dollars that is simply a horizontal line of some sort. I have formatted that cell as text and entered ------- or ====== and Excel adds what appears to be a cell address at the end of the entry in both cases!

How do I enter a horizontal line of some description in a cell in a column that is formatted as Currency?

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BillWilson' post='780705' date='19-Jun-2009 22:58']...How do I enter a horizontal line of some description in a cell in a column that is formatted as Currency?
    ...[/quote]
    How about using Format > Cell to add a top or bottom border to the cell.

Thanks
    In addition to Stuart's comment, if you really want the ----- or the ==== preface it with single quote(') to indicate to excel it is text. The minus (-) and equal(=) signs [as well as the plus(+)] are all used by excel to indicate a formula and thus you get an error in the formula when you use them without the single quote.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='780706' date='19-Jun-2009 18:00']How about using Format > Cell to add a top or bottom border to the cell.[/quote]
    Yes, I can do that. That sounds like it will look like what I am after too.

Thanks,
    Bill