Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Mozilla are now very near releasing Firefox 3.5, one of the final stages in the development is the release of the Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate. The release candidate is what Mozilla believe will become Firefox 3.5, but it is undergoing wide-scale testing to see if there are any bugs that need to be fixed.

If you decide to install it read the Firefox 3.5 (Release Candidate) Release Notes first.

Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='780775' date='20-Jun-2009 13:47'][/quote]
    I installed it earlier today, and haven't had any problems (yet?!) other than it disabling the Bookmark Backups extensions, which I reinstalled without problems.

(PS I am a Nobody. Nobody is Perfect. Therefore I am Perfect.
    Surely that syllogism should read:
    I am a Nobody. Nobody is Perfect. Therefore I am a Nobody.
    ?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Containing a small number of bug fixes plus some updates to the built-in ogg video player, Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate 3 is available for download. Providing there are no issues found, Firefox 3.5 should be released next week.

For a video summarising the new features see What’s New in Firefox 3.5?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='781644' date='25-Jun-2009 06:06']... For a video summarising the new features see What's New in Firefox 3.5? ...[/quote]
    Wow! That went by so fast and looked like LOTS of good stuff in there. I'll have to watch that again with my finger on the "pause" button so I can digest what he's saying.

Thanks Tony!

Thanks
    I'm not sure what the video about the world's fastest clapper has to do with Firefox, but I was impressed!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Providing no bugs are found to delay the release, Firefox 3.5 should be released on June 30th.

Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='782079' date='27-Jun-2009 15:35']Providing no bugs are found to delay the release, Firefox 3.5 should be released on June 30th.[/quote]

Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782080' date='27-Jun-2009 20:39'] [/quote]
    I think I'm on Release Candidate 2 or 3 of Firefox 3.5 - they just got installed automatically, and the Help -> About Mozilla Firefox still says "version 3.5"...

The only real difference I've noticed is a not-before-experienced pause of a couple of seconds when typing the first few characters into the URL window before the first full URL gets offered.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782085' date='27-Jun-2009 20:48']I think I'm on Release Candidate 2 or 3 of Firefox 3.5 - they just got installed automatically, and the Help -> About Mozilla Firefox still says "version 3.5"...

The only real difference I've noticed is a not-before-experienced pause of a couple of seconds when typing the first few characters into the URL window before the first full URL gets offered.[/quote]The version that should become the release version of Firefox 3.5 is release candidate 3. There were 2 different builds for RC3, the first build was not pushed out over the beta update channels. The version that is likely to become the release version has a useragent string similar to this:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5

The key part is the date, it should be 20090624

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='782088' date='27-Jun-2009 15:56'][/quote]
    Hey Tony, can you tell me where in Fx 3.5 this business about videos is located? I can't find anything in the menus about it.

[attachment=84467:2009_06_27_194419.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782111' date='28-Jun-2009 00:48']Hey Tony, can you tell me where in Fx 3.5 this business about videos is located? I can't find anything in the menus about it.[/quote]
    Firefox 3.5 can play ogg videos without a plugin. The context menu in your post is what you get when you right-click on an ogg video, that is the only place where you can access settings for the videos. Currently the ogg format is not widely used, though its use is increasing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='782149' date='28-Jun-2009 07:50']Firefox 3.5 can play ogg videos without a plugin.[/quote]
    Thanks a bunch Tony. I saw the .ogg thing when I managed to stumble on the right-click option DURING the Fx 3.5 demo video. When you go to save the video, the window says .ogg but the actual file on my hard drive has an .ogv extension.

I'm embarrassed about this, but while you were posting, I was off in another corner composing the following post, which I stopped when I saw your reply. Just for the heck of it, here's the post I was writing. Maybe the addon I found will be of interest to others:
    It's probably because I'm still a "greenhorn" about Fx 3.5 but it leaves a bit to be desired for me on this "downloading" or capturing of online videos. After making my previous post, I continued to view the Fx demo video and (blush) learned that in SOME videos you can right-click and get the menu he shows here:

[attachment=84478:2009_06_27_194419.png]

BUT, in many videos elsewhere you get right-click options like this:

[attachment=84479:2009_06_28_072503.png] . . [attachment=84480:2009_06_28_072953.png]

So I continued my searching and at the Mozilla Addon site I found this: Video DownloadHelper :: Add-ons for Firefox. Now, when accessing sites like YouTube or CNN News that have videos, this addon presents this and has worked in each of the trials I've made:

[attachment=84481:2009_06_28_073105.png]

I welcome any and all advice, instruction or tips from all who happen to be trying out the Fx 3.5 RC3 product. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The built-in video playback/download feature only applies to ogg videos (can have ogg or ogv file extensions). Videos that require a plugin in order to play them, such as Flash, will not have a download option when you right-click. For those you will get the context menu applicable to that plugin.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That video download helper addon works pretty well so far. The "spinner" on the toolbar lets you know if a page has downloadable video on it and I've made several tests just to make sure. Works very nicely.

BTW, in case anyone NEEDS a free player for OGG/OGV files I've had this one for a little while: VLC Media Player

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Other than Batcher's initial comment, I see that none of us is saying anything so far about the "performance" of the new product. All the new things I've come across so far, I like. The only thing I'm wondering, and I know there are a LOT of variables when it comes to this topic, but 3.5 seems to render a lot of pages a tad more slowly than previous versions. That includes the two Lounge tabs I normally keep open.

I know it could be my ISP, web traffic by coincidence and any number of other things. I only have a few addons installed, so I first disabled the video one and it didn't change anything, so now I've disabled a few more to see if that changes anything. It's not intolerable, just a little bit slower on MOST pages. Who knows, it could be anything, lurking just around the corner...

[attachment=84495:2009_06_29_051227.png]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast