3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to HELP a friend that is running Windows Vista. I am running WinXP Pro.

My friend has a new Laptop that came with a trial version of Windows Office. When the trial period expired and she uninstalled Office rather than buy it, she has little need for Office, she lost her Power Point viewing capability.

She tried downloading Power Point Viewer Freeware from the TUCOWS link.

The download apparently worked and she selected SAVE but now can't find where it was SAVED to so she can INSTALL it.

We tried hooking up via Remote Assistance using M/S and also using Windows Messenger so I could run her computer from mine, but in both cases the connection failed.

Is it NOT possible to connect a XP unit to a VISTA unit for Remote Assistance??

The SEARCH feature on VISTA appears to be quite different from that on my XP.

Thank you for your attention.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaJan' post='780778' date='20-Jun-2009 09:45']... She tried downloading Power Point Viewer Freeware from the TUCOWS link ...[/quote]
    I'm not in Vista right at the moment, so I'm relying on memory here. Ask her to try the download AGAIN and it will more than likely try to download to the last place she used. Tell her to PAUSE and make note of which folder (or desktop!) it's going to be saved to. She just more than likely went too fast and didn't notice.

PS I don't use remote desktop of any flavor, so I can't answer that question.

Thanks
    I can recommend this freebie
    www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='780828' date='20-Jun-2009 18:38']I can recommend this freebie
    www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx[/quote]

Thanx so very much. That will solve the current and future problems. There are 800 miles tween computers so I can't just skip over everytime a problem arises.

Thanks
    By accident: Just came across another

secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en

Thanks
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='780838' date='21-Jun-2009 03:34']By accident: Just came across another

secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en[/quote]
    I quite like CrossLoop - you just have to install it at each end and ignore all the rubbish about accounts and helpers. One end tells the other end a 12-digit number that comes up, and there's lots of clicking on buttons "Yes, I really, really, want to connect", and it works.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='PaJan' post='780778' date='20-Jun-2009 08:45']I am trying to HELP a friend that is running Windows Vista. I am running WinXP Pro.
    Is it NOT possible to connect a XP unit to a VISTA unit for Remote Assistance??[/quote]

1.) Search with Vista is quite different that XP. It is baked into the OS and is very fast. You may need to change the default settings to get all the folders indexed that you require.

2.) Remote Assistance should be possible. See Step-by-Step Guide to Remote Assistance and How to configure remote assistance for some good help.

There are many more links for Remote Assistance at troubleshoot remote assistance - Bing

Joe
    Joe