Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Protect

Thanks
    Thanks to the advice of many in here I decided to give Shadow Protect a try. After "fiddling" with the settings I now have it set to where it makes sense for me to use, and am very pleased. My question is this. I only have a 500GB Maxtor external drive, and I noticed that Shadow protect is at 134GB's is it safe / Ok to delete some of the older Full and or incremental files? Would sure save me a lot of room.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='780779' date='20-Jun-2009 09:56']Thanks to the advice of many in here I decided to give Shadow Protect a try ... <snip> ... is it safe / Ok to delete some of the older Full and or incremental files? Would sure save me a lot of room.[/quote]
    Sure, I don't see why not. If you don't put anything else on that drive, you should be able to save a few backups and delete the oldest whenever it's appropriate.

I have two 500 gig externals and I keep three weeks of backups on each one, alternating drive each week and deleting the oldest week's files. I do a full image every Saturday and incremental the other six nights. Good luck with SP.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780786' date='20-Jun-2009 07:44']Sure, I don't see why not. If you don't put anything else on that drive, you should be able to save a few backups and delete the oldest whenever it's appropriate.

I have two 500 gig externals and I keep three weeks of backups on each one, alternating drive each week and deleting the oldest week's files. I do a full image every Saturday and incremental the other six nights. Good luck with SP.[/quote]

Thanks Al, I kind of figured it would be Ok, but ya just never know. I also deleted my old Maxtor Backup as well and I am now in pretty good shape room wise. I may just have to invest in another 500G or just sell this one off and get a 1T.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='780789' date='20-Jun-2009 11:03'][/quote]
    If you are scheduling backups (as opposed to manual full backups), you can enable a Retention Policy where you can set the number of image sets to retain. Once this limit is reached, SP will create a new image and will then delete the oldest image. For all of the details, open the SP Help and search for "retention".

If you are simply doing manual Full Backups, then as Al said, it's quite fine to delete older images.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='780789' date='20-Jun-2009 11:03']... I may just have to invest in another 500G or just sell this one off and get a 1T...[/quote]
    My personal feelings would be against the decision for a single 1T drive. I like to have two (or more) drives in my backup system just in case one of the drives (hardware!) fails. At least I've got a second drive that (hopefully) wouldn't go "down" at the same time.

If I were you, I'd invest in another 500 gig and you should have great protection with two drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='780789' date='20-Jun-2009 10:03']Thanks Al, I kind of figured it would be Ok, but ya just never know. I also deleted my old Maxtor Backup as well and I am now in pretty good shape room wise. I may just have to invest in another 500G or just sell this one off and get a 1T.[/quote]

I agree with BigAl about the number of drives. Two is better than one. It is unlikely that both would go bad at the same time. It is nice to know you've got some protection for you backups too.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='780923' date='21-Jun-2009 19:16']I agree with BigAl about the number of drives. Two is better than one. It is unlikely that both would go bad at the same time. It is nice to know you've got some protection for you backups too.

Joe[/quote]If you are really paranoid, you may like this idea. I recommend having 4 backup drives! I have two internal hard drives and three external USB hard drives.

Each week, I use Acronis to do an image backup of my C: partition, which has Windows and all programs installed. I keep all my data files on numerous other partitions (E, F, G ...). Then I back up the contents from one internal drive to the other. Each week, I also back up the contents from one internal drive to an external USB drive.

Once a month, I swap the external USB drive with a second USB drive. I also maintain a history of Acronis image files (for initial Windows installation, and the last 4 months) on a third USB drive (and on a partition of the internal drive). I keep the monthly archives drive and the "extra" external drive in a safety deposit box for "off-site backup insurance."

This has allowed me to recover easily from "Windoze corruption" - I just restore drive C from an earlier backup image. Since the data files are NOT located on C, I only have to worry about reinstalling (or upgrading) the few programs that changed since the last backup.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks

Talking

[quote name='rgrosz' post='781527' date='24-Jun-2009 12:46']If you are really paranoid, you may like this idea. I recommend having 4 backup drives! I have two internal hard drives and three external USB hard drives.

Each week, I use Acronis to do an image backup of my C: partition, which has Windows and all programs installed. I keep all my data files on numerous other partitions (E, F, G ...). Then I back up the contents from one internal drive to the other. Each week, I also back up the contents from one internal drive to an external USB drive.

Once a month, I swap the external USB drive with a second USB drive. I also maintain a history of Acronis image files (for initial Windows installation, and the last 4 months) on a third USB drive (and on a partition of the internal drive). I keep the monthly archives drive and the "extra" external drive in a safety deposit box for "off-site backup insurance."

This has allowed me to recover easily from "Windoze corruption" - I just restore drive C from an earlier backup image. Since the data files are NOT located on C, I only have to worry about reinstalling (or upgrading) the few programs that changed since the last backup.[/quote]

I'm not quite that paranoid Rick LOL but that's not a bad idea. I have an idea that I would like to run by you guys. I am out of USB ports. I have three on my laptop 2 of which are currently being used all of the time, and the third is only used when I connect my KVWP Switch to the laptop. I also have a Belkin 8 port hub which is full. So my option are as I see it:
    1: Buy another Hub, and stack it, or and this one is sort of Off the Wall (please don't laugh) LOL
    2: Connect the two external drives together via firewire. I don't even know if that is possible.
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are a lot devices that do NOT like being connected through a hub. I have 2 external hard drives and a scanner that will NOT work properly when connected to a hub. They all use the USB power and do not have external power connections.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='782171' date='28-Jun-2009 08:49']There are a lot devices that do NOT like being connected through a hub. I have 2 external hard drives and a scanner that will NOT work properly when connected to a hub. They all use the USB power and do not have external power connections.[/quote]

I have had that problem only once Dave and that was with my HP C4280 Printer. I tried to install it while connected to the hub. Suffice to say that did not work. When I connected it to the laptop at install, it took right off. I then connected it to the hub and its been there ever since and has worked flawlessly. The printer also works perfectly while connected to the KVMP switch. This switch allows me to connect my company laptop to the switch and access the printer mostly.

On the Belkin I have the following:

Maxtor III
    HPC4280 Printer/Scanner
    NeatReceipts Scanner
    Cell Phone
    Camera
    KVMP Switch
    Cruzer USB
    WD Pocket Drive
    Thanks John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='782171' date='28-Jun-2009 11:49']There are a lot devices that do NOT like being connected through a hub. I have 2 external hard drives and a scanner that will NOT work properly when connected to a hub. They all use the USB power and do not have external power connections.[/quote]I had LOTS of problems trying to use various USB hubs with older PCs (2 years ago). On my wife's PC, she periodically would get the Blue Screen of Death - and we finally traced it to the USB hub.

The newer PCs I purchased have plenty of USB ports, so I haven't tried any hubs recently.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='782165' date='28-Jun-2009 08:01']2: Connect the two external drives together via firewire. I don't even know if that is possible.[/quote]
    FireWire devices are designed to be daisy-chained together. Your FireWire devices should have two FireWire ports for that very purpose. (Unless as a cost-saving measure they didn't include it.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rgrosz' post='782208' date='29-Jun-2009 04:46']I had LOTS of problems trying to use various USB hubs with older PCs (2 years ago). On my wife's PC, she periodically would get the Blue Screen of Death - and we finally traced it to the USB hub.

The newer PCs I purchased have plenty of USB ports, so I haven't tried any hubs recently.[/quote]

There may be differences among the USB ports on any given computer, depending on the computer's internal architecture. I don't know how you can grade the ports without inside information, pardon the pun, but it would be interesting to read opinions from knowledgeable sources.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='782242' date='28-Jun-2009 18:27']FireWire devices are designed to be daisy-chained together. Your FireWire devices should have two FireWire ports for that very purpose. (Unless as a cost-saving measure they didn't include it.)[/quote]

thanks jscher that is what I had intended on doing
    Thanks John

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='782338' date='29-Jun-2009 11:38']There may be differences among the USB ports on any given computer, depending on the computer's internal architecture. I don't know how you can grade the ports without inside information, pardon the pun, but it would be interesting to read opinions from knowledgeable sources.[/quote]

The USB Hub that I had before this one was a Kensington and it lasted about a year, then two of the ports went dead. The Belkin that I have now is getting close to a year old and so far no problems. The KVMP Swithch is also a Belkin.
    Thanks John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast