3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A Packard Bell laptop Vista Home for some reason wouldnt allow the owner in without her password which she had forgotten. She phoned her help desk and the tech took control of the computer remotely and got it working and she was able to create and set a new password. The tech signed off and she used the computer for about 2 minutes when the screen went dead and computer died as if the power had been turned off. Now it wont start at all. Press the start button and the light flashes for 2 or 3 seconds and nothing happens, no sound of disc spinning just nothing at all. A call back to the tech guys and of course they said they were unable to help and it was probably the HDD had failed. Now my question:

I dont have a spare sata HDD to try in the laptop computer but I have taken out the HDD and plugged it into an external caddy and connected to my computer by usb and it spins up ok and I can read all the data on there which although not important I am able to copy and back up to cd and dvd. So if the HDD works ok as an external drive can I assume that it isn't faulty and it must be something else on the Packard Bell gone wrong, presumably the cpu? Just coincidence that it happend immediately after the tech guy played around?

Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='780796' date='20-Jun-2009 12:29'][/quote]
    Jeff,
    Did they "dink" around in the BIOS by any chance?
    See if you can look at the BIOS to see if the drive is being recognized properly.
    Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, check Device Manager for the HDD.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='780805' date='20-Jun-2009 19:12']Jeff,
    Did they "dink" around in the BIOS by any chance?
    See if you can look at the BIOS to see if the drive is being recognized properly.
    Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, check Device Manager for the HDD.[/quote]

Just what I was wondering, my first thought was getting into safe mode. But it wont boot to the BIOS even, you press the on button the "on" light blinks for a second then goes off - dead - nothing. not even a sound of anything trying to whir up. tried tapping f8 but there appears to be no power getting into the "inards" to start with.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Replying to my own to make things clearer, and from my googling to try and use correct terminology. When the computer is switched on it doesn't get to POST. no manufacturers splash screen or beeps. Hope this helps someone to understand what Im going on about.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='780814' date='20-Jun-2009 20:24']Replying to my own to make things clearer, and from my googling to try and use correct terminology. When the computer is switched on it doesn't get to POST. no manufacturers splash screen or beeps. Hope this helps someone to understand what Im going on about.[/quote]

No, that doesn't look good...

This sort of thing is why I keep a bootable CD (I use UBCD4Win) lying about. If the PC is running at all, I can boot from that and have a look at the hard drive and maybe recover stuff.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='780814' date='20-Jun-2009 15:24']Replying to my own to make things clearer, and from my googling to try and use correct terminology. When the computer is switched on it doesn't get to POST. no manufacturers splash screen or beeps. Hope this helps someone to understand what Im going on about.[/quote]
    Jeff, before deciding to scrap that drive - do try one more trick:
    Unplug and remove the laptop's battery for at least 1 minute - re-install. Then the power button just one more time.
    No guarantees, but this has worked for a friend of mine - several times.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. It looks like a major motherboard problem. On further questioning she now tells me the computer was dying during use over several weeks past and she just "turned it on again". It looks like no power is getting through to get things started, tried removing battery but here's a strange thing - without the battery connected and just using the power cord there is no sign of life. with the battery only or battery + power cord the light blinks for a second.

Anyway, its not the hard drive as I've managed to take it out and connect to a usb external caddy and copy the important info e.g. some photos, so the're saved. I've suggested take it to repair shop for professional diagnosis and be prepared to buy a new computer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='780879' date='21-Jun-2009 07:05']Update. It looks like a major motherboard problem. On further questioning she now tells me the computer was dying during use over several weeks past and she just "turned it on again". It looks like no power is getting through to get things started, tried removing battery but here's a strange thing - without the battery connected and just using the power cord there is no sign of life. with the battery only or battery + power cord the light blinks for a second.

Anyway, its not the hard drive as I've managed to take it out and connect to a usb external caddy and copy the important info e.g. some photos, so the're saved. I've suggested take it to repair shop for professional diagnosis and be prepared to buy a new computer.[/quote]

Jeff,

Being a day late and dollar short ...

Have you tried looking at the memory ? I have had a system in the past get zapped and displayed funky behavior. i ended up swapping the memory with a known good stick and it worked.

HTH !
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='782327' date='29-Jun-2009 17:59']Jeff,

Being a day late and dollar short ...

Have you tried looking at the memory ? I have had a system in the past get zapped and displayed funky behavior. i ended up swapping the memory with a known good stick and it worked.

HTH ![/quote]

Out of my hands now as they took it into a local shop for diagnosis and repair! As of Saturday when I spoke to them the're still waiting for the shop to make some response. I think they'll be told to buy a new computer.