Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I've been bombarded with Spam for the past 2 or 3 weeks and although Outlook (2007) has a decent Junk Mail filter, there is still too many that are ending up in my Inbox. So, I decided to try MailWasher. I have some questions about the program which I hope some here can answer:

1. Is MailWasher a decent anti-spam application or has it seen its heyday and there are others that are much better?

2. How/Can I configure it to deal with most of this spam where the sender is using one of my own e-mail addresses and the recipient's address (me) is the same address? If I Blacklist these e-mails then I'm thinking I'm essentially blocking ALL e-mail sent to me.

3. Lastly, (for now anyway)... I'm not going to be very happy with this program IF I have to click on the "Process Mail" button every time I want to be able to get the non-spam messages via Outlook. Is there an option to automatically process these e-mail messages so that they will be received in Outlook without having to do this manually?

THANKS!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Mailwasher for quite some time now and have found it to be solid and reliable.
    You get to preview e-mail and delete spam or other trash before you have to download it to your machine.
    I would suggest you give it a try. You'll like it.
    Best regards,
    Slim

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780834' date='20-Jun-2009 16:41']How/Can I configure it to deal with most of this spam where the sender is using one of my own e-mail addresses and the recipient's address (me) is the same address? If I Blacklist these e-mails then I'm thinking I'm essentially blocking ALL e-mail sent to me.[/quote]
    I've been seeing a lot of these "from me/to me" messages in my Postini quarantine for my work address. Perhaps you could handle them with an Outlook rule to move them to folder for occasional review? This assumes you do not routinely cc yourself on outgoing messages...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780834' date='20-Jun-2009 19:41']... I decided to try MailWasher ...[/quote]
    1. Is MailWasher a decent anti-spam application or has it seen its heyday and there are others that are much better?
    I've used it ever since "the beginning" and I wouldn't be without it. There may well be others but I must admit to not having looked.
    2. How/Can I configure it to deal with most of this spam where the sender is using one of my own e-mail addresses and the recipient's address (me) is the same address? If I Blacklist these e-mails then I'm thinking I'm essentially blocking ALL e-mail sent to me.
    In the Tools command, both Spam Tools and Options open the same window. Locate My Filters and create something like you see in the graphic below. I don't know why, but sometimes it works and on other emails it doesn't. But, for me it at least marks some of them for deletion.
    3. Lastly, (for now anyway)... I'm not going to be very happy with this program IF I have to click on the "Process Mail" button every time I want to be able to get the non-spam messages via Outlook. Is there an option to automatically process these e-mail messages so that they will be received in Outlook without having to do this manually?
    I'm afraid that you'll have to do that and personally, I WANT it that way. MW IS darn good, but it isn't perfect, so I preview, make a change if necessary, process and Alt-Tab to Thunderbird. There are places in the Filters, Blacklist, Origin of Spam and Virus where you can mark it to automatically perform the action, but I don't use any of them.
    [attachment=84366:2009_06_21_054339.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='780841' date='21-Jun-2009 00:32']I've been seeing a lot of these "from me/to me" messages in my Postini quarantine for my work address. Perhaps you could handle them with an Outlook rule to move them to folder for occasional review? This assumes you do not routinely cc yourself on outgoing messages...[/quote]
    I actually started making rules for these type of messages. But there are SO MANY with different subjects that I decided it would be futile to try and keep up and my Rules menu would be incredibly large. That's what precipitated me trying MailWasher.

Let me ask another question about MailWasher that is related to #3 above:

4. When I click the "Process Mail" button after some time Outlook does open if it had been closed. But, since MailWasher wants the automatic check for mail feature in Outlook turned off, I have to manually click on "Send/Receive" to download the mail that MailWasher has processed. Is there no way to get mail in Outlook without having to go through this routine?

Perhaps I'm so used to getting my e-mail automatically every 15 minutes that having to - manually open MailWasher, click on the "Process Mail" button, wait for MailWasher to do its thing, open Outlook GUI, click on "Send/Receive" and then wait awhile for the good messages to arrive - that this is quickly becoming an irritant.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780861' date='21-Jun-2009 06:15']... Perhaps I'm so used to getting my e-mail automatically every 15 minutes that having to - manually open MailWasher, click on the "Process Mail" button, wait for MailWasher to do its thing, open Outlook GUI, click on "Send/Receive" and then wait awhile for the good messages to arrive - that this is quickly becoming an irritant.[/quote]
    If you give yourself some time, you'll get used to it - after all it's only a few clicks - why take a chance at a missed piece of garbage coming down off that server?

Seriously though, it may not be for everyone but the routine is so commonplace with me now that I don't even think about it. As a matter of fact, I use that MW preview screen to discard a lot of mail from "legit" sources <blush>. I get special sale notices from a number of businesses that I deal with and the vast majority, I don't want to read, but I don't want to opt out, so I use the MW preview screen and it it's not something I'm interested in, I mark it for deletion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When we all used slow dial-up lines I understood the need for SPAM filter software that avoided downloading the entire message. With modern broadband connections I just don't get it. I can download all my email automatically every few minutes and use local junk mail filters to move things to different folders that I can review if I ever need to.

• Most ISPs have some level of junk mail filter that removes the worst of the trash, and I very rarely look through (and delete) this junk, using a webmail interface.
    • The outlook junk email filter does a pretty good job of identifying most of the rest of the trash, and I generally look through this quickly about once a day.
    • I use rules to filter out quite a bit more stuff into folders that I glance through more regularly before deleting them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='780876' date='21-Jun-2009 07:31']When we all used slow dial-up lines I understood the need for SPAM filter software that avoided downloading the entire message. With modern broadband connections I just don't get it.[/quote]
    Stuart,

Perhaps this will help you "get it"? I average 300-500 spam messages daily. Most are of the variety as noted above, i.e., the "To:" and "From:" addresses are the same and are usually mine. I have 6 accounts and thus the possible reason I'm getting so much spam. As I also explained above, I do think Outlook's "Junk Mail Filter" does a reasonably good job, but it doesn't recognize these identical "To/From" addresses. If you add them to the Junk Mail, then you effectively block ALL mail sent to that address; again because the "To/From" addresses are your own. I am trying MailWasher with the hopes of intercepting these types of messages.

And yes, my ISP has a Spam filter also which blocks many as well.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780834' date='20-Jun-2009 19:41']2. How/Can I configure it to deal with most of this spam where the sender is using one of my own e-mail addresses and the recipient's address (me) is the same address? If I Blacklist these e-mails then I'm thinking I'm essentially blocking ALL e-mail sent to me.[/quote]
    I don't use Mailwasher but in my Spam blocker, I have created two rules to eliminate this from me/to me junk. Since I never cc myself on emails, the first rule is: if the From line is My email address AND the To line is also my address, the mail is UNAUTHORIZED and blocked.
    The second would be for the occasional times when I might want to check to see if emails are being sent and received, so the rule is added that if the SUBJECT line is a code name/number that I created, then the from/to me address is ALLOWED.

I don't know if mailwasher can let you create these rules but you might want to check into it. This works for me.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

[quote name='viking33' post='780895' date='21-Jun-2009 13:15']I don't use Mailwasher but in my Spam blocker, I have created two rules to eliminate this from me/to me junk. Since I never cc myself on emails, the first rule is: if the From line is My email address AND the To line is also my address, the mail is UNAUTHORIZED and blocked.[/quote]
    Yep.... discovered where I can create rules manually and did as you suggested for all my accounts. I'm curious to see if it works, which I suspect it will.

Thanks for the suggestion which should have been obvious to me.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='780895' date='21-Jun-2009 13:15']I don't know if mailwasher can let you create these rules ...[/quote]
    See Post 780859.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='780895' date='21-Jun-2009 18:15']I don't use Mailwasher but in my Spam blocker, I have created two rules to eliminate this from me/to me junk. Since I never cc myself on emails, the first rule is: if the From line is My email address AND the To line is also my address, the mail is UNAUTHORIZED and blocked.
    The second would be for the occasional times when I might want to check to see if emails are being sent and received, so the rule is added that if the SUBJECT line is a code name/number that I created, then the from/to me address is ALLOWED.[/quote]

Bob got in here before me. I use Poptray as a mail notifier rather than leave Thunderbird open all the time. This allows me to create rules just like Bob's to delete (and other things) emails as required. It's not specifically a spam blocker, I use Popfile for that (and to sort mail from all my accounts into categories that Thunderbird sorts at the other end)
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780905' date='21-Jun-2009 14:17']Yep.... discovered where I can create rules manually and did as you suggested for all my accounts. I'm curious to see if it works, which I suspect it will.[/quote]

Since you find that the Microsoft spam filter is not good enough for you and you want to get away from rules based classification check out SpamBayes: Bayesian anti-spam classifier written in Python.. There is also POPFile - Automatic Email Classification - Trac. I've used both but I find the MS spam filter is OK for me now. It has been a while since I've used Popfile. I think by itself it is a little tricky to get to work with Outlook. Spambayes was very easy to get to work. It has not been updated in a while.

Both of these worked well. They each "learned" fast what I wanted to be considered spam. Both are free.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I can confirm that SpamBayes works well in Outlook (at least in versions before 2007), but I don't think it'll meet Pilgrim's requirements. SpamBayes operates inside the mail client, i.e. with downloaded messages. Because of the volume of spam that he receives, he prefers to filter out spam before downloading it.

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='780905' date='21-Jun-2009 15:17']I'm curious to see if it works, which I suspect it will.[/quote]
    So according to Al's link the rules should work OK in Mailwasher also.
    And jonwallace says it works in Poptray.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast