QueMeUp

How can I use an e-mail message to import data

Is there am easy way to have my 10 employees e-mail 10 different sets of data to my mailbox and have the Outlook e-mail message link the 10 individual sets of data into an Excel spreadsheet?

If this type of situation is possible, what is the technical jargon in MS-speak?

Thanks

Re: How can I use an e-mail message to import data

The VBA in Outlook cannot see inside attachments, so if someone e-mails data as an attachment, the best Outlook can do using VBA is save the files to a desired location. If the data is set out in the message body, for example, as tab-separated text, then VBA could be used to manipulate the data, but it's not a trivial project.

What does this data look like? For example, how many rows, how many columns, does it contain any funny characters. Is it already arriving as an Excel workbook and, if so, are they all laid out the same?

How do you want it to be combined? For example, can all the data just be appended together for you to manipulate in Excel, or are there more complicated relationships among the data sets that you need to track?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

see exlife (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ornic.com>http://www.ornic.com</A>) or one of the custom actions on the same site. if they send it as delimited text, it can be merged into a file - and if sent as an excel workbook, it can be opened and an excel macro can merge it.

QueMeUp

An simple example of the data would be: sales from ten different locations, each week.

I was told by a friend, who heard this form another, who heard it from....etc, that I could create form ?fields? in Outlook that could be linked to an Excel sheet on my laptop. When my employees emailed me the message, the data in the form fields would automatically link to my Excel document, so that I could sort and create reports from all ten sets of data.

Do you know if this type of a set up is possible