Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Last fall I was looking for a piece of software that would open an .MDB file from a utility program I use for smiley management. I have Open Office installed rather than the MS products, and Open Office didn't like the .MDB file, so I came across this site which has a number of freebies on it:
    Portable Freeware utilities by Alex Nolan . . . (Searching The Lounge for "MDB Plus" doesn't yield any hits, so I guess I didn't post a notice back then.)
    The site's a bit awkward to browse around on but I did find MDB Plus which is able to open the file in question. I didn't want to change it or anything, I simple wanted to look at, sort, count the records and export them to a .CSV file from which I made a spreadsheet.

He lists some of his software as "portable" but even the MDB Plus didn't require installation.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    And while I was there, getting the link for the above post, I downloaded a few of his other apps and Color Seizer - Pick colors from the screen looks like something I might have occasional use for. It's no sweat trying to find out specifically what a color is if I'm in PSP but elsewhere on the web, sometimes I want to know what a color is so I can duplicate it. This utility makes that pretty easy.

[attachment=84370:2009_06_21_183302.png] . . . From PSP color screen

[attachment=84371:2009_06_21_183455.png] . . . Color Seizer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just as a side note - I know that, like me, you're a user of FastStone Capture. This handy utility also includes a screen color picker (click the Settings button, then select Screen Color Picker).

[attachment=84372:x.png]
    • File Type: png x.png (14.9 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'll be danged! I didn't notice that it was there, hiding all this time. Now lemme see if I can figure out how to use it. Thanks Hans!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I played around with both programs, Hans, and they compare favorably in the numbers they give as results. Of course, those numbers can vary wildly depending on the object you're pointing to. For example, this is a screenshot of a MedicAlert pendant I recently bought. It was clipped from the screen where I ordered it. The 'reds' in it vary wildly from point to point, but both utilities got the same result in points to the same locations. Thanks again for steering me!

[attachment=84378:2009_06_22_074946.png]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

Bigaldoc,

Here's the color picker I have been using for years. You might want to give it a whirl to see how you like it.

1. It is 100% free
    2. Works anywhere
    3. Lots of very usable options

Get it here: CPick (scroll down to near the bottom of the page).

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='781073' date='22-Jun-2009 16:13']Here's the color picker I have been using for years. You might want to give it a whirl to see how you like it.[/quote]
    Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a look.