Thread: System Restore

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    June 22, 2009

Yesterday I tried to start System Restore and found out that the "System Restore" window that came out was displayed with only the "System Restore" name on top but otherwise it was entirely blank!! I waited about 5 minutes but there was no change.

Is there a way to get back the full "System Restore" window in order to use it to restore to a previous date ??

Thanks for any help...

Theodore

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='780977' date='22-Jun-2009 07:27']Is there a way to get back the full "System Restore" window in order to use it to restore to a previous date ??[/quote]
    I don't use System Restore myself, so I can't verify what either of these two do. Kelly's Korner is a very reliable "tweaks and fixes" site that we recommend to Loungers often.

She has fixes on line 278 on the left AND line 289 on the right. I don't know what the difference between them is. I hope you have a current full backup of your system before you try one, just in case! Of course, it's always prudent to have a current backup...

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780986' date='22-Jun-2009 19:03']I don't use System Restore myself....[/quote]
    Al,

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I find this intriguing! Why do you not use System Restore? Have you never had a need for it (you must be very lucky!), or do you use something else? If so, what? Do you have System Restore switched off? Why?

Please elaborate!

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='781109' date='22-Jun-2009 18:56']... Why do you not use System Restore? <snip> ... or do you use something else? If so, what? Do you have System Restore switched off? Why?[/quote]
    Yes, I've had system restore turned off ever since it first became available. The reason is that I do a FULL BACKUP once each week and a nightly incremental and have done so for many years. Therefore, I see no value in being able to restore the system state when I can have a full system backup available to me every day. This "system" has never let me down and I've had to call on it many times over the years, either for a complete restore or selected files.

I'm currently using Shadow Protect but prior to that I used True Image.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='781109' date='22-Jun-2009 23:56']Al,

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I find this intriguing! Why do you not use System Restore? Have you never had a need for it (you must be very lucky!), or do you use something else? If so, what? Do you have System Restore switched off? Why?

Please elaborate!

Chris[/quote]

================================================== ==
    2StarLounger: 6-21-2009

How do you check if System Restore is switched off ??

Theodore

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Right-click My Computer on the desktop and select Properties from the popup menu.
    Or select Start | Control Panel and open System.
    Activate the System Restore tab.
    Tick or clear the "Disable System Restore" check box.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781133' date='23-Jun-2009 01:18']Right-click My Computer on the desktop and select Properties from the popup menu.
    Or select Start | Control Panel and open System.
    Activate the System Restore tab.
    Tick or clear the "Disable System Restore" check box.[/quote]

HansV 6-24-2009

Thanks very much for your clear step by step advice !!

Theodore

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='781119' date='23-Jun-2009 06:24']Yes, I've had system restore turned off ever since it first became available. The reason is that I do a FULL BACKUP once each week and a nightly incremental and have done so for many years. Therefore, I see no value in being able to restore the system state when I can have a full system backup available to me every day. This "system" has never let me down and I've had to call on it many times over the years, either for a complete restore or selected files.[/quote]
    Al,

Yes, I guess that makes some sense. However, many's the time that I've inadvertently (or indeed, advertently!) made changes which I have immediately regretted, and a System Restore has saved my bacon.

I have to admit I've never done full backups of the type you do. I do synchronise my desk top with notebook daily, so I have a full backup of all my data. But that does not cover the 'system'. For that, System Restore has yet to let me down.

For the small investment in hard disk space, I'm not sure I can see the drawback of System Restore, certainly for the many of us who aren't as 'religious' in doing backups as you are.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='781603' date='24-Jun-2009 21:09']For the small investment in hard disk space, I'm not sure I can see the drawback of System Restore ...[/quote]
    Way to go, Chris! I don't have any "objection" to system restore, it's just that I don't feel the need.

The thing that DOES concern me is the large number of computer users that we run into who mistakenly think that system restore is a "backup" system, which of course it's not. That's why you sometimes (often?) see a handful of Loungers (like me) who are advocates of imaging backup. AND, some of them are ALSO system restore advocates as well. Belt and suspenders type of thing.