Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two XL 2003 addins, which I use only occasionally. I would like to be able to start XL but have the option of loading one or both in the course of a session. I know how to run XL "vanilla" (in /s safe mode with no addins) but would prefer to start it normally, then have the addins available "on demand". What's my best strategy for achieving this?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Do the addins have any toolbar(s)?
    If so, create an empty toolbar of your own and drag the controls of the toolbar of the addin(s) to your own toolbar.

Now you can uncheck the addins in tools addins. Clicking a button on your own toolbar will load the addin.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='781012' date='23-Jun-2009 01:07']Do the addins have any toolbar(s)?[/quote]
    One does, the other places its menu onto the Standard menu bar.
    If so, create an empty toolbar of your own and drag the controls of the toolbar of the addin(s) to your own toolbar.
    OK, being a bit dumb here, but how do I arrange for my "personal" toolbar to always load? Do I need something in an XLSTART folder?
    Now you can uncheck the addins in tools addins. Clicking a button on your own toolbar will load the addin.
    You mean any of the original addin-associated buttons, now residing on my new toolbar?

Alan

Thanks
    Is there a reason you can't just use the AddIns dialog to load them when you want them?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='781186' date='23-Jun-2009 20:40']Is there a reason you can't just use the AddIns dialog to load them when you want them?[/quote]
    I guess this was my original hope. It seems that I can EITHER load on startup and have them appear in the Addins dialog OR stop them from loading at startup, but then not have them showing in the addins dialog.

Perhaps my methods to stop them loading at startup are not the appropriate ones?
    I should rephrase the problem as:

How do I prevent an addin from running at startup, but still be available in the addins dialog for "on demand" usage?

thanks
    Alan

Thanks
    If the addins are located in the AddIns directory under C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\Addins, then they should appear in the list, and all you need to do is check and uncheck them to load/unload them. They should not be in your XLSTART directory.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='781207' date='23-Jun-2009 23:07']If the addins are located in the AddIns directory under C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\Addins, then they should appear in the list, and all you need to do is check and uncheck them to load/unload them. They should not be in your XLSTART directory.[/quote]
    Thanks Rory. Perhaps this is part of the problem. ALL XLSTART folders are empty and so are all Addins folders of the "user" branches you describe above. But these two still (persistently) load at startup. Any other info to search for that might help? For instance, one of them appears to be referenced in various places using what looks to be a GUID.

Alan

Thanks
    What add-ins are they? Perhaps they are automation add-ins?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='781210' date='23-Jun-2009 23:32']What add-ins are they? Perhaps they are automation add-ins?[/quote]
    I don't think they are. I can't see anyting "telltale" in the automation list. The "offenders" are the checked ones in the Addins dialog.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Can you run this code - it should list the paths of all your addins:
    Code:
    Sub ListAllAddins()
       Dim wks As Worksheet, objAddIn As AddIn, objCOMAddin As COMAddIn
       Dim lngRow As Long
       Set wks = Workbooks.Add.Sheets(1)
       lngRow = 3
       With wks
    	  With .Cells(1, "A")
    		 .Font.Bold = True
    		 .Font.UnderLine = True
    		 .Value = "XLA AddIns"
    	  End With
    	  .Cells(2, "A").Resize(, 3).Value = Array("Name", "Installed?", "File name")
    	  For Each objAddIn In Application.AddIns
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "A").Value = objAddIn.Name
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "B").Value = objAddIn.Installed
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "C").Value = objAddIn.FullName
    		 lngRow = lngRow + 1
    	  Next objAddIn
    	  With .Cells(lngRow, "A")
    		 .Font.Bold = True
    		 .Font.UnderLine = True
    		 .Value = "COM AddIns"
    	  End With
    	  lngRow = lngRow + 1
    	  .Cells(lngRow, "A").Resize(, 3).Value = Array("Description", "Connect?", "File name")
    	  lngRow = lngRow + 1
    	  For Each objCOMAddin In Application.COMAddIns
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "A").Value = objCOMAddin.Description
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "B").Value = objCOMAddin.Connect
    		 .Cells(lngRow, "C").Value = objCOMAddin.progID
    		 lngRow = lngRow + 1
    	  Next objCOMAddin
    	  .UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit
       End With
    End Sub
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='781228' date='24-Jun-2009 00:50']Can you run this code - it should list the paths of all your addins:[/quote]
    Here is the output for XL started in "normal" mode:

XLA AddIns
    Name Installed? File name
    analys32.xll FALSE analys32.xll
    atpvbaen.xla FALSE atpvbaen.xla
    sumif.xla FALSE sumif.xla
    eurotool.xla FALSE eurotool.xla
    HTML.XLA FALSE C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\LIBRARY\HTML.XLA
    lookup.xla FALSE lookup.xla
    Model Analyzer for Excel.xla TRUE C:\Program Files\JABSOFT\Model Analyzer for Excel\Model Analyzer for Excel.xla
    solver.xla FALSE solver.xla
    statfi.xla TRUE C:\Program Files\StatFi 2007 GAOTD\statfi.xla
    COM AddIns
    Description Connect? File name
    dheoffice addin TRUE Dheaddins.Connect
    Office Genuine Advantage Add-in TRUE OGAAddin.Connect
    SnagIt Add-in TRUE SnagItOfficeAddin.Connect

I think I might have a deeper problem with XL (or beyond). There seems to be a memory issue, manifest in copy/paste (or absence of ability to) including the apparent non-functioning of (Alt+) PrintScreen. So far, I can get it working in XL Safe Mode, but not with these addins loaded. I can't, for instance paste your text code into the VBA editor. It also seems to affect non-XL-related apps when these addins are loaded. The plot thickens me thinks.

Alan

Thanks
    I would suspect SnagIt might be responsible for your copy/paste problems.
    For the other two addins (the one showing installed as TRUE), you might try unchecking them, moving the xla files to another directory temporarily, then recheck them in the dialog and answer Yes to remove them from the list. Then move the .xla files to the the AddIns directory, and recheck them in the list. You should now be able to uncheck and recheck as and when you want them loaded.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='781249' date='24-Jun-2009 01:44']I would suspect SnagIt might be responsible for your copy/paste problems.
    For the other two addins (the one showing installed as TRUE), you might try unchecking them, moving the xla files to another directory temporarily, then recheck them in the dialog and answer Yes to remove them from the list. Then move the .xla files to the the AddIns directory, and recheck them in the list. You should now be able to uncheck and recheck as and when you want them loaded.[/quote]
    Thanks Rory. That appears to have worked for the most part. The copy/paste/printscreen issue seems OK now (irrespective of SnagIt). I may have to play with things a bit yet, but have at least sorted the startup issues. Beginning to wonder if these addins are worth their bytes, but will see what I can sort out.

cheers
    Alan