Thanks
    Just a faint (and feint!) hope that someone has one of these laptops and has removed/replaced/exchanged the hard disk.

How easy was it?

(No, I don't have one - yet - but would be interested in replacement as an option...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know this particular laptop, but I have replaced hard drives on a wide variety of laptops from various vendors and they have never been difficult. Sometimes you may need a torx screwdriver, but that's about the worst of it.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='781213' date='23-Jun-2009 14:44'][/quote]
    Thanks, Stuart.

I managed to filch a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop today and while the owner was otherwise engaged (!) I undid the (cross-head) screws on the cover for the hard disk. There is a small aluminium drive cage (very well ventilated with lots of holes) which surrounds the 2" hard disk, which is plugged in at one end in the usual way. I had assumed that the whole hard disk would be visible, and there would be just a couple of screws to hold it in. So if the Tecra model is similarly organised, my idea of easy and straightforward hard disk interchange isn't especially practicable.
    BATcher

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless it is very much different you should find that the whole disc just slides back from the plug end, thats how my Toshiba equim works but the Tecra manual downloaded from here might show you more? Tecra user manual download

Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='781293' date='23-Jun-2009 19:26']Unless it is very much different you should find that the whole disc just slides back from the plug end...[/quote]
    That's more or less what I said, I think, but my point is that the disk seems to be enclosed in a cage, and the whole thing appears to have to come out.
    Are you saying that the cage stays put but the disk slides out of it?
    BATcher

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781309' date='23-Jun-2009 20:41']That's more or less what I said, I think, but my point is that the disk seems to be enclosed in a cage, and the whole thing appears to have to come out.
    Are you saying that the cage stays put but the disk slides out of it?[/quote]

The cage is probably screwed to the HD, but should be easy to put onto the new one.

One gotcha is that (as I discovered on an Acer that I replaced) there may be an adaptor between the old HD and the connection in the laptop. In the Acer, this was cunningly disguised as part of the HD interface, making the old drive look different to the new drive and causing mild panic till I figured out what the difference was. This popped off easily (and popped onto the new drive just as easily...)

HTH
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781309' date='23-Jun-2009 20:41']That's more or less what I said, I think, but my point is that the disk seems to be enclosed in a cage, and the whole thing appears to have to come out.

It stays put on mine with 4 (or maybe 2, it's been a while since I looked ) little screws to hold it over the disk.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781036' date='22-Jun-2009 11:54']Just a faint (and feint!) hope that someone has one of these laptops and has removed/replaced/exchanged the hard disk.

How easy was it?

(No, I don't have one - yet - but would be interested in replacement as an option...)[/quote]

If you are just looking to increase size, I would suggest an external hard drive or a Flash drive for data.

If you are looking to actually replace the drive, I found a site several weeks ago that helped me when I needed to take a motherboard out ...

Replacing laptop motherboard Toshiba Satellite Pro M10 and Satellite Pro M15. How to replace laptop motherboard.

Look at steps 7 and 8.

BTB - I did manage to get the motherboard out and replacement one in - EVENTUALLY ! !

I do not EVER plan on donig that again though
    Scott

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781309' date='23-Jun-2009 15:41']That's more or less what I said, I think, but my point is that the disk seems to be enclosed in a cage, and the whole thing appears to have to come out.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10 and the disk is indeed enclosed in a cage and the cage and disk come out as a single unit. It all just slides out, but be firm but gentle and remember that all of the connectors are still seated at first, and once they are free there will be almost no resistance to pulling, where there is quite a bit for the first short distance. In other words, you are just unplugging the disk. The disk itself is then unscrewed from the cage. If you are replacing it be aware that there are different and incompatible drive series, so be sure to have a drive from the correct series. (I think my original was 60 GB and I now have a 120 GB that fits.) I think the maximum RAM, if you plan to increase memory, is 2 GB, but again, only certain combinations will work.

I like that computer very much.