Thanks
    I have a protected form that needs to have a unique identifier on every page. The form uses formtext fields now, but I'm thinking of using a fillin field to have them enter the company name. Is there a way to have a field or bookmark in a header that would update after the company name fillin field is accessed? The field doesn't have to update immediately, but when the document is saved or printed, the field/bookmark needs to update.

Is there a way to do this?

Fuzzman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Format the Fillin field with a style used only for that purpose. The formatting of this style isn't important, it could be identical to that of the surrounding text.

In the header, enter a StyleRef field that refers to the style that you used for the fillin field. This field will reflect the text entered in the Fillin field (or rather, whatever text is formatted with the specified style)

Thanks
    You're suggestion worked great, until I protected the form. All of the other fields are formtext, and when I reopen the doc, press Ctrl+A and then F9 to access the fillin field it doesn't work. Could I create a macro that would access that fillin field on opening?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    One option would be to place the fillin fields in unprotected sections of the document.
    Another option would be to use form fields after all. Either assign a dedicated style to those form fields, and use StyleRef fields in the header as described before, or assign appropriate bookmark names to those form fields, tick their "Calculate on exit" check boxes, and use Ref fields that refer to the bookmarks in the header.

Thanks
    Thank you so much. I think I'm on the right track because of you.