Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Is there any noticeable difference and/or advantage between using Analog vs. Digital with a LCD Monitor? If I remember correctly, if you choose Digital then you don't have many configuration options, e.g,. brightness, contrast, etc. I've been using Analog for ages and today I began wondering if it would be worth switching to Digital?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='781120' date='22-Jun-2009 19:26']Is there any noticeable difference and/or advantage between using Analog vs. Digital with a LCD Monitor? If I remember correctly, if you choose Digital then you don't have many configuration options, e.g,. brightness, contrast, etc. I've been using Analog for ages and today I began wondering if it would be worth switching to Digital?[/quote]

The video card on my computer has VGA and DVI outputs. My LCD monitor has VGA and DVI inputs. I had them hooked up through the VGA connectors initially and switched to DVI about a year ago. To my eye I can see no discernible difference. The configuration options (both hardware and software) available are the same whether it be hooked up through the VGA or the DVI connectors.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    My opinion, without any scientific backup, is that digital will/should always be better. I have several digital ones at work and home, and they all have brightness/contrast controls etc., although to be honest, I've never checked to see if they work

I've never been able to do a like for like comparison. Although the nice wide digital ones at work also have analog inputs, they came as a package with the PCs and so were never used without the digital I/O. We also have a couple of small LCD monitors (analog) that replaced aging CRTs, and although 'nicer' than their predecessors, aren't a touch on the wide-screen digital monitors.

I would hesitate to say the difference is similar to the difference between vinyl and CD recordings, but to my mind, you definitely get a crisper picture. And as the signal is originally digital, and by definition an LCD-type monitor is digital, I can't believe there is not a loss in converting the digital to analog back to digital again.

A lot will depend on your usage - font sizes, applications etc, but I would personally recommend you go digital!

(You may want to check compatibility between card and monitor - there's no point in a HD monitor if you can't get the best out of it!)

Thanks
    I tend to agree with Leif in that there must be some loss in converting the signal from digital to analog then back again. But my monitor is either so good or so bad that I cannot see any discernible difference between the two. I'll stay with DVI. Like Leif says, some of he newer LCD wide screens are very impressive, but it would be interesting to see if they perform any differently (with quantifiable metrics) when used in the opposite mode. I have some professional photographer/graphic artist friends who claim that analog CRTs are better for their needs. To each his own.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the feedback.

This is what I have been running for a few years: Samsung SyncMaster 931C and an EVGA (Nvidia) GeForce 7600 GT. No, the monitor is not a HDD type but will run in either digital or analog mode. And the EVGA card has two DVI outputs. I am using the included adapter to connect the monitor to the video card and using Analog mode.

With this additional information, would you still suggest running it in digital? Or, would it be a waste of time because any difference would not be noticeable?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='782082' date='27-Jun-2009 15:42']No, the monitor is not a HDD type...[/quote]

What do you mean by HDD?

You appear to have a video card with native DVI outputs and a monitor that supports both VGA and DVI inputs. Why don't you try running the monitor in digital mode and judge for yourself which is better?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

[quote name='PaulB' post='782086' date='27-Jun-2009 15:50']What do you mean by HDD?

You appear to have a video card with native DVI outputs and a monitor that supports both VGA and DVI inputs. Why don't you try running the monitor in digital mode and judge for yourself which is better?[/quote]
    HDD = High Definition Display

Well, don't I feel silly! When I moved, I didn't pack my video card box (I keep all the original boxes for all hardware) which means I don't have the DVI cable. Thus, no can try. So sorry to waste your time.

ADDENDUM: Well, now don't I really feel silly. I decided to look around in the cellar just for giggles and I found my monitor box. Out of curiosity I opened it and lo and behold!! there was but one item in it and that was the DVI cable.

Soooo, I'm now using digital and to be honest, at least thus far which isn't much viewing of anything other than Woody's Lounge, I don't see any noticeable difference. Under what circumstances I would see any difference if there was one I am can't say since I don't have a clue. hehe
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='782102' date='27-Jun-2009 18:48']HDD = High Definition Display

...I don't see any noticeable difference.[/quote]

I really can't see a difference either.
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='782102' date='27-Jun-2009 17:48']HDD = High Definition Display

Well, don't I feel silly! When I moved, I didn't pack my video card box (I keep all the original boxes for all hardware) which means I don't have the DVI cable. Thus, no can try. So sorry to waste your time.

ADDENDUM: Well, now don't I really feel silly. I decided to look around in the cellar just for giggles and I found my monitor box. Out of curiosity I opened it and lo and behold!! there was but one item in it and that was the DVI cable.

Soooo, I'm now using digital and to be honest, at least thus far which isn't much viewing of anything other than Woody's Lounge, I don't see any noticeable difference. Under what circumstances I would see any difference if there was one I am can't say since I don't have a clue. hehe[/quote]

Lief,

For what it is worth, I have used an Analog (which ONLY used VGA Inputs) and Digital LCD side by side for several years.

The bottom line is what looks good with your system while matching hardware with software capabilities. A HDD LCD with BluRay DVD looks GREAT - if that is what you plan on doing with your system.

LCD Prices have dropped so much, CRT's are out. However ....

I just refurbished a Compaq D51U SFF and the video card could not handle the Analog LCD or the Digital LCD with VGA hookup. The video card is built in and no slots available for another card and no available video drivers for the system to support the LCD - I have to use a CRT MONITOR !

Fortunately I found a local store handling used computer equipment and purchased a 20" Nokia CRT for ~$25.00 tax included.

Scott
    Scott