5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks
    I have a Word doc to remind clients of appointments. It is a mail merge doc. It has a calendar for the appointment month with the day highlighted. The mail merge doc is called from Access. The Word doc is linked to an Excel spreadsheet which takes the date from the Word doc, formats the calendar, which is displayed in the Word doc. all of this works beautifully as it has for many years.
    However, when I email this doc, the email shows the letterhead followed by approx 1 page of white space, then the actual letter. Of course recipients just see the letterhead and don't scroll down to see the letter contents. I tried saving the doc as rtf before emailing - no difference.
    Any ideas on how I can get the email to display correctly?
    Attached is a copy of the letter without any links, fields etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The document you attached doesn't have the same problem so I don't think we can help you here on the Word side. The code that is creating the email may be reformatting the document somehow to throw in a page break.

However, rather than trying to solve the problem you asked, I would recommend that you send them an appointment which has the benefits of:
    1. not requiring the user to open a document to find out why you sent them an email
    2. the user can click a button to have the appt added to their calendar
    3. the email size is smaller
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='781156' date='23-Jun-2009 16:06']The document you attached doesn't have the same problem so I don't think we can help you here on the Word side. The code that is creating the email may be reformatting the document somehow to throw in a page break.

However, rather than trying to solve the problem you asked, I would recommend that you send them an appointment which has the benefits of:
    1. not requiring the user to open a document to find out why you sent them an email
    2. the user can click a button to have the appt added to their calendar
    3. the email size is smaller[/quote]
    Thanks Andrew.
    They don't have to open the doc, it isn't sent as an attachment, but in the body of the email. I only attached a copy of the doc so folks would know what it looks like.
    Your idea, although very efficient, is not an option.
    There is no code to email the doc, I do that manually. All the code does is fill out the name, address and appointment time & date fields. Excel handles the calendar. All that part works just fine. The doc continues to look great before, during and after the emailing - just the recipient gets the botched copy.
    So I'm still stumped as to why Outlook messes up the perfectly good layout.

(Aside: we didn't get the afternoon rain that was forecast).
    Regards,
    Peter

Thanks
    [quote name='Peter Kinross' post='781159' date='22-Jun-2009 23:35']The doc continues to look great before, during and after the emailing - just the recipient gets the botched copy.[/quote]
    The Outlook HTML editor sometimes does not display a message during composition the way it actually will look when sent. I'm always embarrassed when one or two paragraphs have a different font size than the rest of my message. In your case, perhaps a large but invisible object is getting embedded in the message. Can you send the document to yourself, then right-click and view source, anonymize it as desired, and then save as a text file, zip it, and post it for review?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='781161' date='23-Jun-2009 16:56']The Outlook HTML editor sometimes does not display a message during composition the way it actually will look when sent. I'm always embarrassed when one or two paragraphs have a different font size than the rest of my message. In your case, perhaps a large but invisible object is getting embedded in the message. Can you send the document to yourself, then right-click and view source, anonymize it as desired, and then save as a text file, zip it, and post it for review?[/quote]
    File is only 24K so no need to zip it. It is all Dutch to me (sorry Hans). Here it is.
    Well here it nearly was. A Woodys error said 'Upload failed ..' So I guess it has to be zipped. Trying again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I can tell, the problem is caused by the grouped text boxes. If you format the document using tabs or using a table, it should e-mail correctly.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm with Hans, your document is full of floating objects such as text boxes and floating graphics. When it is being saved you start with an empty image with the dimensions 705px 1011px which must be related to the floating objects

If you try to lay out the document without the floating content it will be far more likely to convert easily to html.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In fact, it's sufficient to ungroup all text boxes. The grouping adds the empty picture mentioned by Andrew.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781167' date='23-Jun-2009 17:38']In fact, it's sufficient to ungroup all text boxes. The grouping adds the empty picture mentioned by Andrew.[/quote]
    You guys are collectively superb.
    Hans, I ungrouped the text boxes and the doc emailed perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Peter