Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Beer Spill Shuts Down Route 78 - Local Vermont News

And a quote from the article:
    "The truck is to have to be offloaded before we even attempt to pull it out of the ditch..."
    I wonder HOW they did the offloading?

Thanks
    One of the commentators hopes "it wasn't Labatt Blue....". That would be ecologically devastating for the local wildlife (picture an inebriated moose stalking the highway). Most other beers are simply pale imitations of water.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='781196' date='23-Jun-2009 12:37']I wonder HOW they did the offloading?[/quote]
    It would have been pretty well impossible for much manual removal, so I suspect they got a small crane to remove the pallets (or whatever they were) from off the lorry and placed them on a replacement lorry conveniently situated on the roadway. Then a much bigger crane would have been needed to remove the lorry from the swamp, or maybe a 'wrecking truck' could have pulled it out. Sounds like not too much fun, especially if the swamp was infested by crocodiles, mosquitoes, snapping turtles, poisonous snakes, and the like!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781238' date='23-Jun-2009 17:15']... especially if the swamp was infested by crocodiles, mosquitoes, snapping turtles, poisonous snakes, and the like![/quote]
    Crocodiles in Vermont?

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781252' date='23-Jun-2009 16:49']Crocodiles in Vermont?[/quote]
    It's a pretty rough area! (I was there in the autumn of 1987!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess one might see crocodiles amongst the pink elephants in Vermont after drinking enough beer...

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781252' date='23-Jun-2009 11:49']Crocodiles in Vermont?[/quote]

Doesn't matter... the mosquitoes are just as big.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='781237' date='23-Jun-2009 23:12']One of the commentators hopes "it wasn't Labatt Blue....". That would be ecologically devastating for the local wildlife (picture an inebriated moose stalking the highway). Most other beers are simply pale imitations of water.[/quote]

We had a beer around here that was so mean you could almost hear it cursing as it leaves the bottle.

Its Sam Adams Utopas.

Has a 25% level of alcohol.

Haven't seen it on any shelves lately.

It is either not being made any more, sold only in a few shop or you gotta have a dangerous weapon permit to purchase it.

Had it once......ONLY ONCE!
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='781332' date='23-Jun-2009 17:31']Has a 25% level of alcohol.[/quote]

With that level of alcohol, I don't think it qualifies as a beer anymore!!!
    Regards,
    PaulB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='781335' date='23-Jun-2009 21:57']With that level of alcohol, I don't think it qualifies as a beer anymore!!! [/quote]From the brewer's web-site (i.e. take with a certain grain of malt)

Weighing in at an impressive 25% alcohol by volume, this unique brew is non-carbonated and is created as a result of complex and carefully timed brewing methods. Beyond the special brand of hops, Samuel Adams Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Samuel Adams Utopias contains caramel and Munich malts for its rich amber color, ... It also possesses several different types of yeast, including a variety found in champagne.

It is described as a rich after-dinner drink similar to a vintage Port, fine cognac or old sherry. In fact, Samuel Adams Utopias has been aging in bourbon, scotch, cognac and port barrels. The final recipe is a blend of casks up to 10 years old. While aging, a flavorful, malty essence that resembles a deep, rich, grape taste develops in the brew. The brewers recommend serving at room temperature in two-ounce servings.

Samuel Adams beer is sold nationwide for a suggested retail price of $6.99-$7.99 for a six-pack, with the exception of Chocolate Bock, which retails for a suggested price of $14.99 per bottle and Utopias, which retails for a suggested price of $100 per bottle.

I'm sorry no beer is worth $100!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='781408' date='24-Jun-2009 02:33']I'm sorry no beer is worth $100! [/quote]

Like I said: that ain't no beer!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='781196' date='23-Jun-2009 19:37']Beer Spill Shuts Down Route 78 - Local Vermont News

And a quote from the article:
    "The truck is to have to be offloaded before we even attempt to pull it out of the ditch..."
    I wonder HOW they did the offloading?

[/quote]

Bigaldoc
    My best idea of off loading an event like that could have been done by the locals hiding in the nearby woods with really L-----0-----N-----G straws!
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='781408' date='24-Jun-2009 02:33']I'm sorry no beer is worth $100! [/quote]
    Yeah but this isn't JUST beer, it's Sam Adams. Utopia is a limited quantity production run. Hard to find.[attachment=84434:cauldron.gif]
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='781768' date='25-Jun-2009 20:17']Yeah but this isn't JUST beer, it's Sam Adams. Utopia is a limited quantity production run. Hard to find.[attachment=84434:cauldron.gif][/quote]Limited quantity perhaps, we always have the law of supply and demand but

It is described as a rich after-dinner drink similar to a vintage Port, fine cognac or old sherry. In fact, Samuel Adams Utopias has been aging in bourbon, scotch, cognac and port barrels. The final recipe is a blend of casks up to 10 years old. While aging, a flavorful, malty essence that resembles a deep, rich, grape taste develops in the brew. The brewers recommend serving at room temperature in two-ounce servings.

So the casks are up to 10 years old. You don't get 'vintage Port, fine cognac or old sherry' from casks that young.

Sorry no beer is worth $100, even Sam Adams

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='781790' date='26-Jun-2009 06:37']
    [/quote]
    We have been brewing our own beer for more than 20 years. We keep extensive notes about the ingredients and brew process for a batch and then tasting notes. We also keep three bottles in the 'musuem' (it helps to have a cellar).

We have found that a good young brew will turn into a good old brew. We recently tasted a 17 year old stout to which we had added chocolate during the brewing process. It had developed many of those 'old wine' flavours as described above. It was just beautiful. There are two bottles left now, and I don't care how many of you offer me $100 I am not parting with them!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast