Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have been asked to include a landscape page at the end of a template I am creating in Word 2003 (it was previously in the middle of the template).

I want it to be the last page but can't seem to get rid of the paragraph on the last page (which is a portrait page).

I have put Show/Hide on, and: tried to reduce the line spacing and font size to a minimum; I have double-clicked the section break and tried to change it to a continuous section break (rather than new page section), but it swiftly reverts back to a new page section break; and I have selected the extra paragraph mark and gone into Font and marked Hidden (I also tried this separately with the section break on the landscape page) -- all to no avail.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks,
    Sam

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you are describing but my guess is that you can't modify an existing template.

The method of doing this is not exactly intuitive. When you locate the template, do not double click on it to open. Instead, right click and select open. The proof that you are editing the template is that the title bar at the top of the screen says xyz.dot (or whatever the name of the template is). If it say Document1, it's proof that you opened a copy of the template and not the template itself.

Fred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for that.

I am creating the template, so I'm definitely editing the template, and not a document based on the template.

I want the last page of the template to be a landscape page, but I can't get rid of an extra paragraph mark at the end, which causes an unwanted portrait page at the end of the document, instead of the desired landscpae page.

I have attached a document based on the template to show you what I mean. All I want to do is remove the last page, which is portrait, so that the last page is landscape.

Many thanks,
    Sam

[quote name='redbeard42' post='781240' date='23-Jun-2009 10:19']I'm not sure what you are describing but my guess is that you can't modify an existing template.

The method of doing this is not exactly intuitive. When you locate the template, do not double click on it to open. Instead, right click and select open. The proof that you are editing the template is that the title bar at the top of the screen says xyz.dot (or whatever the name of the template is). If it say Document1, it's proof that you opened a copy of the template and not the template itself.

Fred[/quote]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the following:
    - Position the insertion point in the landscape section.
    - Select File | Page Setup...
    - Without changing anything, click OK.
    - Position the insertion point in the last section.
    - Select Edit | Redo Page Setup or press Ctrl+Y.
    - This copies the landscape layout to the last section.
    - You can now safely delete the section break between the last two sections.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much -- that worked.

I found a new problem though.

When I insert a page break after the landscape page (I wanted to check that a footer on a new landscape would be error-free as I had issues with this before), the footer goes wrong. I have removed the "Same as Previous" setting from the footer but it seems to be picking up settings from previous section(s) as well as its own.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Regards,
    Sam

[quote name='HansV' post='781253' date='23-Jun-2009 10:54']Try the following:
    - Position the insertion point in the landscape section.
    - Select File | Page Setup...
    - Without changing anything, click OK.
    - Position the insertion point in the last section.
    - Select Edit | Redo Page Setup or press Ctrl+Y.
    - This copies the landscape layout to the last section.
    - You can now safely delete the section break between the last two sections.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you'll have to repair this manually, i.e. delete the duplicate text box.

Also keep in mind that you have ticked "Different first page" in the Layout tab of Page Setup.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans.

I'm unsure what is considered best practice with landscape pages. I want to create a template that is user-friendly and easy to use, so initially thought it would be good to include a landscape page as part of the template (in the the majority of cases, users use portrait pages, but landscape pages are often needed), since most users find this difficult to insert, especially when there are elements in the headers or footers that need to proportionally resize or move to fit the width of a landscape page properly.

The problem I'm finding though is that users are finding it more confusing as when they delete section breaks inadvertently, the whole report turns landscape (no matter how much I bang on about displaying non-printing characters). I thought this problem would be solved by putting the landscape page at the end of the template but it isn't.

Do you think it would be better to take the landscape page out completely, and make a separate template for it so it can be copied in when required, or would it be equally confusing copying in the landscape section into a working document? (Or is there a way to include a landscape page but with less potential problems?)

Just wondering what other people's experiences have been with this.

Many thanks,
    Sam

Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='781471' date='24-Jun-2009 08:08']The problem I'm finding though is that users are finding it more confusing as when they delete section breaks inadvertently, the whole report turns landscape (no matter how much I bang on about displaying non-printing characters). I thought this problem would be solved by putting the landscape page at the end of the template but it isn't.[/quote]
    Users who edit in Print Layout mode probably do not see any difference between section breaks and regular page breaks, so you might need to "flag" that by inserting some hidden text before the section break warning them not to delete it.

But whether users delete the landscape section consciously or unconsciously, they will indeed move the last section's page formatting up to the portrait section and experience frustration.

Is it an option to add a macro to the template to create a new landscape section? That seems easier than the training challenge of explaining how to safely delete the last section without ruining the one before (which, frankly, Microsoft does not make easy, at least in Word 97-2003).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You might create an AutoText entry with a landscape section with the header and footer set up the way you want, so that users can easily insert such a section where they need it. To avoid problems, you'd have to turn off "Same as previous" for all headers and footers of all sections.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much.

Would this type of macro be simple enough to record via Word, or would it need to be coded via VBA?

[quote name='jscher2000' post='781533' date='24-Jun-2009 15:02']Users who edit in Print Layout mode probably do not see any difference between section breaks and regular page breaks, so you might need to "flag" that by inserting some hidden text before the section break warning them not to delete it.

But whether users delete the landscape section consciously or unconsciously, they will indeed move the last section's page formatting up to the portrait section and experience frustration.

Is it an option to add a macro to the template to create a new landscape section? That seems easier than the training challenge of explaining how to safely delete the last section without ruining the one before (which, frankly, Microsoft does not make easy, at least in Word 97-2003).[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Hans.

I have created an autotext entry called "LandscapePage". I selected the section break on the landscape page and created it via Insert>AutoText>New. However, when I come to insert the autotext, it only inserts a section break, without the footers or headers, or the landscape format. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Sam

[quote name='HansV' post='781556' date='24-Jun-2009 16:33']You might create an AutoText entry with a landscape section with the header and footer set up the way you want, so that users can easily insert such a section where they need it. To avoid problems, you'd have to turn off "Same as previous" for all headers and footers of all sections.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The AutoText entry should contain two section breaks: one that starts landscape layout, and one that starts portrait layout again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='781693' date='25-Jun-2009 17:20']Would this type of macro be simple enough to record via Word, or would it need to be coded via VBA?[/quote]
    You can record most of it, but the code looks cleaner and works more efficiently if you edit it. Here is an example:

Code:
    Sub CreateLandscapeSection()
      Dim sec As Section
      ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.Start, End:=Selection.Start). _
    	InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage
      Selection.Start = Selection.Start + 1
      ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.End, End:=Selection.End).InsertBreak _
    	 Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage
      Selection.PageSetup.Orientation = wdOrientLandscape
      Set sec = Selection.Sections(1)
      UnlinkHF sec
      Set sec = ActiveDocument.Sections(sec.Index + 1)
      UnlinkHF sec
    End Sub

Sub UnlinkHF(sec As Section)
      Dim hf As HeaderFooter
      With sec
    	For Each hf In .Headers
    	  If hf.Exists Then
    		hf.LinkToPrevious = False
    	  End If
    	Next hf
    	For Each hf In .Footers
    	  If hf.Exists Then
    		hf.LinkToPrevious = False
    	  End If
    	Next hf
      End With
    End Sub

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have decided on inserting the landscape page via the AutoText method (just because my macro skills are next to nothing).

I inserted three section breaks for the autotext though (instead of just two), so that the page where the insertion point is on doesn’t convert to landscape itself. So the autotext entry starts from a portrait page, then a landscape, then to a portrait page (example attached).

The problem that I have now is that the page numbering messes up once the autotext landscape page is inserted, so that the last section restarts its numbering at 1.

Is there a way round this (I am sure I have removed any “Same as Previous” settings) -- example attached?

Regards,
    Sam

[quote name='HansV' post='781712' date='25-Jun-2009 11:25']The AutoText entry should contain two section breaks: one that starts landscape layout, and one that starts portrait layout again.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The resetting of page numbering is independent of the "same as previous" setting for headers and footers. You'll have to make sure that none of your sections is set to restart page numbering at 1. In your document, section 3 restarts the numbering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast