Thread: mail to link

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that I can type an email address into an excel cell so that a single click opens outlook in a new message with that addressee.

What I want to do is hold a table of email addresses in one worksheet and then perform a lookup and present the email address in another worksheet. I can easily do this using vlookup function, but this shows the value without acting as a link to launch outlook new message.

Is it possible to do what I want - lookup an address and preent a working mailto link?

Thanks

Mike C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Use a formula like this:

=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&VLOOKUP(D1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100 ,2,FALSE))

D1 is the cell containing the value you want to look up.
    Sheet2!A1:B100 is the range with the lookup values in the first column and e-mail addresses in the second column.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans Hi,

A couple of general comments first...

First: I havent been here since the new interface has been implemented. I have just deleted the quote from your reply to my message, and I am hoping that you will still get this reply to yours. If the geeneral use of the forum makes it better for contributors to see the quote for the context that it gives, I would be pleased to receive that advice.

Second: I was expecting an email telling me that someone had replied to my message. I didnt get one, and that is why I have been so long getting back to you. should I have had an email?

Now to the substance. Thank you for your solution giving me the hyperlink function in the context of a lookup. This works perfectly, and indeed I tried using concatenate inside the hyperlink function and that is fine as well. I was worried that it might work, but not show the value that it as using, but no - its all there to see.

Best regards,

Mike C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as it's clear from the context what you're replying to, it's not necessary to include a quote.

Before submitting a new topic, make sure that the check box "Enable email notification of replies?" is ticked. In Controls > Email Settings you can sepcify that this check box will be ticked by default, and you can specify what kind of notification you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784003' date='10-Jul-2009 16:25']As long as it's clear from the context what you're replying to, it's not necessary to include a quote.

Before submitting a new topic, make sure that the check box "Enable email notification of replies?" is ticked. In Controls > Email Settings you can sepcify that this check box will be ticked by default, and you can specify what kind of notification you want.[/quote]

Thanks Hans,,
    Kind regards

Mike C