4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Windows XP SP3 on an older laptop and now it is terribly sluggish. I have been advised to uninstall SP3. Microsoft's tech support page says to use Add/Remove Programs, click on Windows XP Service Pack 3 and then click Remove. Unfortunately, Windows XP Service Pack 3 does not appear in the list even though I have Show Updates checked. The second method Msoft suggests is to Click Start, click Run, type C:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuni nst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK. If I do that I get a message saying the file cannot be found. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='781387' date='24-Jun-2009 04:18']I installed Windows XP SP3 on an older laptop and now it is terribly sluggish. I have been advised to uninstall SP3. Microsoft's tech support page says to use Add/Remove Programs, click on Windows XP Service Pack 3 and then click Remove. Unfortunately, Windows XP Service Pack 3 does not appear in the list even though I have Show Updates checked. The second method Msoft suggests is to Click Start, click Run, type C:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuni nst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK. If I do that I get a message saying the file cannot be found. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]
    There are a whole lot of other things I would look at to speed up a laptop before resorting to uninstalling SP3!
    These have been covered on many websites and forums, so I will simply suggest two:
    • see what your installed memory is - 512 MB is just about adequate, and 768 MB and 1 GB are better
    • use AUTORUNS to help you determine which of the programs started at boot/logon time are not needed, and could be removed
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='781387' date='23-Jun-2009 22:18']Microsoft's tech support page says to use Add/Remove Programs, click on Windows XP Service Pack 3 and then click Remove. Unfortunately, Windows XP Service Pack 3 does not appear in the list even though I have Show Updates checked. The second method Msoft suggests is to Click Start, click Run, type C:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuni nst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK. If I do that I get a message saying the file cannot be found. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]

On all the XP systems I've checked "Windows XP Service Pack 3" shows as a separate entry near the bottom of the list in add/remove programs. You should not need "Show Updates" checked to see it.

Have you used Windows Explorer to see if the $NTservicePackUninstall$ folder exists? Note: make sure "show hidden files and folders" is selected in Windows Explorer Tools | Folder options | View.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='781387' date='23-Jun-2009 23:18'][/quote]
    It also shows up in Revo Uninstaller Freeware which is a handy-dandy utility to have around if you don't already.

[attachment=84410:2009_06_24_102528.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried REVO but it still does not show up (see attached screenshot). Maybe it is because a technician reinstalled XP presumably with SP3 and not as a separate upgrade.

Apparently the screenshot hasn;t got through. I had great trouble replying as I kept getting messages about opening and closing quotes which I could notunderstand or resolve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='781579' date='24-Jun-2009 19:02']I tried REVO but it still does not show up (see attached screenshot). Maybe it is because a technician reinstalled XP presumably with SP3 and not as a separate upgrade.[/quote]
    That's possible. Open My Computer and click Properties. You should see something like this attachment. If SP3 has been installed as part of a "slipstreamed" disk, I don't know if you CAN uninstall it. Others will have to chime in here...

[attachment=84416:2009_06_24_191805.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='781579' date='24-Jun-2009 18:02']I tried REVO but it still does not show up (see attached screenshot). Maybe it is because a technician reinstalled XP presumably with SP3 and not as a separate upgrade.[/quote]

If SP3 was slipstreamed (integrated) into the XP install there is no way to uninstall it short of finding XP installation media that does not have SP3 and doing a clean install.

Joe
    Joe