Thanks

Outlook Read Receipts (2002/XP)

I have Outlook 2002 set to never send a read receipt yet it sometimes does (I recall reading somewhere that this could occur if there's an Exchange server in the mix). Is there a way to disable this option completely, either via Outlook settings or via the registry? This could be enough for me to revert back to Outlook 2000.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Read Receipts (2002/XP)

are you using exchange server? outlook 2000 could not block the ones going to local exchange accounts, only to the internet. AFAIK, 2002 works on both local exchange accounts and internet. who is getting the receipts - a local address or internet?

Thanks

While one of my email accounts is processed by Exchange Server, my laptop's Outlook 2000 is set for Internet Mail Only, and my home deskop Outlook XP doesn't seem to have that setting anymore. I seem to be sending delivery receipts rather than read receipts after installing Watch Your Back!... I'd much rather not use 3rd-party software to handle this (but will) - do you know if there are registry settings to address this? My preference is to not send anything without my specific intervention.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

if they are delivery receipts, you have no control. those are sent back by the receiving mail server and are sent when the mail hits your mailbox, not when it's downloaded into outlook.

read receipts are sent when you actually get the mail in your inbox and do something with it. those you can control.

Thanks

Darn! I didn't have this problem with Outlook 2000... :-(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

if they are really delivery reciepts, you'll have the problem with every mail client.

tools > options > preferences tab > email options > tracking to disable reciepts on the internet transport or to an internet address. if the mail is from someone in your exchange org, you can't block them. additionally, the exchange server can block receipts leaving the server (to internet addresses) - but you can't stop them internally. this is how it was in outlook 2000 too. I thought they added the ability to stop local (exchange server) receipts too, but maybe that was only in an early beta.

internet mail only mode of outlook 2000 can block all RR because it can't connect to an exchange server using the exchange transport. if you read exchange mail using pop3 transport, you can block receipts. (but lose a lot of the exchange features)