Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

I using Office 2007 and I have a worksheet named "Client Info" that is linked to "Cover Page.docm". If possible I’d like to be able to update link with the current data and then apply sheet protection that only allow “filling in forms” on the opening of the "Cover Page.docm". I don’t want the .docm to be modified or copied. Is this possible. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Your requirements look contradictory to me. If you link to a document and allow users to fill in form fields, the document will be modified. Yet you state that the document shouldn't be modified.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781548' date='24-Jun-2009 14:08']Your requirements look contradictory to me. If you link to a document and allow users to fill in form fields, the document will be modified. Yet you state that the document shouldn't be modified.[/quote]

I just wanted to protect the document from any alteration from original design/layout,
    but at the same time allowing data to be entered in Text FormField as were designed. Now as far as the linking I’m allowing the document link to refresh data when it opens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Why do you want to present a Word document in an Excel worksheet?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781585' date='24-Jun-2009 16:09']Why do you want to present a Word document in an Excel worksheet?[/quote]
    I use word.docm for my home inspection reports it more user friendly for this type of application.
    I use a combination of Drop Down FormFields and Text FormFields . With the type of data along with photos, it’s so much easier using word, and I use my Excel to navigate and store information. They both have great features and neither one is complete. For me with what I do it works quite will.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't you keep the Word and Excel documents separate? That would be a lot easier to manage, and you could still staple the printout together.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781620' date='24-Jun-2009 23:16']Can't you keep the Word and Excel documents separate? That would be a lot easier to manage, and you could still staple the printout together.[/quote]
    Yeah I could separate them, My reports I have different variations so I have 18 different possible scenarios. When I have each section of the report completed I then let my printer combine them and print them in PDF Format.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='781689' date='26-Jun-2009 00:46']Yeah I could separate them, My reports I have different variations so I have 18 different possible scenarios. When I have each section of the report completed I then let my printer combine them and print them in PDF Format.[/quote]
    Hi Gary,

AFAIK, Forms protection doesn't prevent the links to an Excel wb updating - all you need to do is to make sure Word 2007 is configured to automatically update the links (Word Options|Advanced > General > Update automatic links at open).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='781711' date='25-Jun-2009 09:18']Hi Gary,

AFAIK, Forms protection doesn't prevent the links to an Excel wb updating - all you need to do is to make sure Word 2007 is configured to automatically update the links (Word Options|Advanced > General > Update automatic links at open).[/quote]

Hi macropod
    Thank you,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

[quote name='macropod' post='781711' date='25-Jun-2009 09:18']Hi Gary,

AFAIK, Forms protection doesn't prevent the links to an Excel wb updating - all you need to do is to make sure Word 2007 is configured to automatically update the links (Word Options|Advanced > General > Update automatic links at open).[/quote]

Hi macropod
    I’m sorry. I’ve search around without getting any helpful answers. I am a little confused what you meant by “AFAIK, Forms protection” I’m lost there? I already had my Word 2007 configured to automatically update the links. I tried different types of protection, but I get a message when opening the Word Document “Run Error 4605 The TrackRevision method or property is not available because document is a protected document. Got me scratching my head on this one…..I’m sure it real simple but at this moment I don’t have a clue….Thank You

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='781974' date='27-Jun-2009 06:45']Hi macropod
    I’m sorry. I’ve search around without getting any helpful answers. I am a little confused what you meant by “AFAIK, Forms protection” I’m lost there? I already had my Word 2007 configured to automatically update the links. I tried different types of protection, but I get a message when opening the Word Document “Run Error 4605 The TrackRevision method or property is not available because document is a protected document. Got me scratching my head on this one…..I’m sure it real simple but at this moment I don’t have a clue….Thank You[/quote]
    Hi Gary,

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

The error message you're getting has nothing to do with document links - it suggests you have a macro that's trying to do something with 'Track Changes' that can't be done while the document is protected for forms.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

[quote name='macropod' post='781985' date='26-Jun-2009 15:53']Hi Gary,

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

The error message you're getting has nothing to do with document links - it suggests you have a macro that's trying to do something with 'Track Changes' that can't be done while the document is protected for forms.[/quote]
    Hi macropod
    Could the problem be in my setting that control tracking of formating or AutoRecover
    Here is the code that I use to open word doc.
    Code:
    Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Set wordapp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set worddoc = wordapp.Documents.Open(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Inspection Reports\Cover Page.docm")
    	wordapp.Visible = True
    End Sub
    Any subjections what I might look for and possible where

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='782062' date='28-Jun-2009 03:22']Hi macropod
    Could the problem be in my setting that control tracking of formating or AutoRecover
    Here is the code that I use to open word doc.
    Code:
    Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Set wordapp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set worddoc = wordapp.Documents.Open(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Inspection Reports\Cover Page.docm")
    	wordapp.Visible = True
    End Sub
    Any subjections what I might look for and possible where[/quote]
    Hi Gary,

There doesn't seem to be anything about that code snippet that idicates where the problem is. Perhaps you could recreate the error, then see what line the code's failing at. If you then post that sub and tell us where the problem is occurring, we might have a better idea.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

[quote name='macropod' post='782099' date='27-Jun-2009 15:27']Hi Gary,

There doesn't seem to be anything about that code snippet that idicates where the problem is. Perhaps you could recreate the error, then see what line the code's failing at. If you then post that sub and tell us where the problem is occurring, we might have a better idea.[/quote]
    Hi macropod
    Here's what came up on the code error
    on this code below
    Code:
    Private Sub MacroEntry()
    ' Store current Track Changes status, then switch off temporarily.
    With ActiveDocument
    	TrkStatus = .TrackRevisions
    	.TrackRevisions = False
    End With
    ' Turn Off Screen Updating temporarily.
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    End Sub
    this is the part that was highlighted
    Code:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='782126' date='28-Jun-2009 12:08']Hi macropod
    Here's what came up on the code error
    on this code below
    Code:
    Private Sub MacroEntry()
    With ActiveDocument
    	.TrackRevisions = False
    End With
    ' Turn Off Screen Updating temporarily.
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    End Sub
    this is the part that was highlighted
    Code:
    [/quote]
    Hi Gary,

OK, whatever sub is calling 'MacroEntry' is doing so while the document is protected. The MacroEntry sub looks like one of mine, perhaps part of a larger set of code I've posted somewhere. Essentially, you have two options:
    1. Unprotect the document before calling 'MacroEntry', then re-protect the document after calling the 'MacroExit' sub; or
    2. Commenting out/deleting all of:
    Code:
    With ActiveDocument
    	.TrackRevisions = False
    End With
    along the with corresponding lines in the 'MacroExit' sub:
    Code:
    ' Restore original Track Changes status
    ActiveDocument.TrackRevisions = TrkStatus
    If you do that, you may as well also comment out/delete:
    Code:
    Dim TrkStatus As Boolean	  ' Track Changes flag
    The correct approach depends on what the calling sub is doing.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast