Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FILE SEARCH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I go to the search function on my computer to find a file/document - the results always come up twice
    Two icons for each file - someone told me it was the backup file - if this is so how can I stop the SEARCH function from finding these backup files

if not

how do I get only one icon or file name for each file to appear

TY

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Or they can be the "Recent" link.

Can you provide a screen shot, so we can see what they look like?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781472' date='25-Jun-2009 01:11']When I go to the search function on my computer to find a file/document - the results always come up twice
    Two icons for each file - someone told me it was the backup file - if this is so how can I stop the SEARCH function from finding these backup files

if not

how do I get only one icon or file name for each file to appear

TY[/quote]

If you know the location of the backups (or duplicate results) you can use a 3rd party FREEware program like Waldo 2.0 to exclude those results:

Waldo is fast, easy to use, and sits in the system tray.
    It shows the structure of the results much more clearly than "Find Files".
    You can keep a list of default folders that will be loaded on Waldo's startup.
    You can tell Waldo to avoid searching through particular folders.
    Waldo can do Boolean searches (AND, NOT, OR).
    Waldo understands "kb", "mb", "gb" when constraining files by size.
    You can give both upper and lower bounds on file sizes to Waldo.

The native Windows file search is quite primitive (and slow!)

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781472' date='24-Jun-2009 10:11']When I go to the search function on my computer to find a file/document - the results always come up twice
    Two icons for each file - someone told me it was the backup file - if this is so how can I stop the SEARCH function from finding these backup files[/quote]

Are you using XP or Vista?
    If XP, are you using Windows Desktop Search or the Search Companion?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='781474' date='24-Jun-2009 16:24']Or they can be the "Recent" link.

Can you provide a screen shot, so we can see what they look like?[/quote]

I am not sure how to provide you with a screen shot
    once I pull up the search please provide the process
    thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='781483' date='24-Jun-2009 16:49']Are you using XP or Vista?
    If XP, are you using Windows Desktop Search or the Search Companion?

Joe[/quote]

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

- but I am not sure which search I am using
    I will tell you what I do
    I click on the start menu and then the search within that pop up
    is there a better way
    thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781495' date='24-Jun-2009 12:56']I am not sure how to provide you with a screen shot[/quote]
    Until you get some specific software for this purpose, you can use the Print-Screen key to copy what's on the screen. THEN, until you get something else, you can use Paint that comes with Windows to CROP the image down to what's necessary to convey your problem. We don't need full-screen shots.

Then, go to our FAQ at Post 759433 to learn how to upload an image that you've saved on your hard drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781496' date='24-Jun-2009 11:59']Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

- but I am not sure which search I am using[/quote]

You can go to Control Panel | Add/remove Programs and scroll to the bottom of the list. Look for "Windows Search 4.0". If it is not there go to Get It Now to download it. It is far superior to the original search in XP.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='781545' date='24-Jun-2009 21:59']You can go to Control Panel | Add/remove Programs and scroll to the bottom of the list. Look for "Windows Search 4.0". If it is not there go to Get It Now to download it. It is far superior to the original search in XP.

Joe[/quote]
    I have to choose one of these Mine says XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3

WHICH ONE DO I PICK WHEN I GO TO GET IT NOW

For Windows XP (32-bit)
    The Windows Search Individual Installer for the 32-bit Windows XP SP2 (or higher) operating system consists of the Windows Search 4.0 software, the .ADM template to allow for Group Policy settings, and the UNC protocol handler to allow indexing of shared network directories and shared FAT drives. The 32-bit Windows XP package contains 22 stand-alone language installers. This includes English.

For Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Home Server (32-bit)
    The Windows Search Individual Installer for the 32-bit Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Home Server operating systems consists of the Windows Search 4.0 software, the .ADM template to allow for Group Policy settings, and the UNC protocol handler to allow indexing of shared network directories and shared FAT drives. The 32-bit Windows Server 2003 package and the Windows Home Server package contains 22 stand-alone language installers. This includes English.

For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (64-bit)
    For the 64-bit Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems, the download package contains the Windows Search 4.0 software and the .ADM template to allow for Group Policy settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='781520' date='24-Jun-2009 20:31']Until you get some specific software for this purpose, you can use the Print-Screen key to copy what's on the screen. THEN, until you get something else, you can use Paint that comes with Windows to CROP the image down to what's necessary to convey your problem. We don't need full-screen shots.

Then, go to our FAQ at Post 759433 to learn how to upload an image that you've saved on your hard drive.[/quote]

Oh Big Al

I feel so dumb - I have hit the prtSc key but my computer does nothing
    I am not currently hooked up to a printer but thought by your message it sounded like it would offer a way to save an image
    I do know how to copy , save as and attach docs but cant figure out how to capture the screen results
    TY

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781576' date='24-Jun-2009 18:58']I feel so dumb - I have hit the prtSc key but my computer does nothing[/quote]
    After hitting the Print Screen key, an "image" is in your Windows clipboard. Now you need to run Paint or some other graphic program and do a paste (Ctrl-V) from the clipboard to the graphic program. THEN, you do the cropping that I mentioned.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The PrintScreen key places an image of the screen on the clipboard.
    After pressing PrintScreen, start Paint (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Paint).
    Select Edit | Paste.
    The picture will be much too large.
    Use the tools available in Paint to produce a picture that contains only the relevant part of the screen.
    Save this as a .jpg, .png or .gif file.
    Attach this file to a reply (first click the Browse... button a way below the area where you type your reply, select the file, then click UPLOAD)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781583' date='25-Jun-2009 00:06']The PrintScreen key places an image of the screen on the clipboard.
    After pressing PrintScreen, start Paint (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Paint).
    Select Edit | Paste.
    The picture will be much too large.
    Use the tools available in Paint to produce a picture that contains only the relevant part of the screen.
    Save this as a .jpg, .png or .gif file.
    Attach this file to a reply (first click the Browse... button a way below the area where you type your reply, select the file, then click UPLOAD)[/quote]

HOPE THIS WORKED
    I SEEMS LIKE IT DID BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE ATT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Go easy on the Caps Lock!

Please use the View button in the toolbar of the Search Results window to switch to Details view.
    Make the "In Folder" column wider so that you can see the entire path.
    Are the "duplicate" files really stored in the same folder, or in different folders?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kabgmit' post='781573' date='24-Jun-2009 17:53']I have to choose one of these Mine says XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3

WHICH ONE DO I PICK WHEN I GO TO GET IT NOW

For Windows XP (32-bit)
    The Windows Search Individual Installer for the 32-bit Windows XP SP2 (or higher) operating system consists of the Windows Search 4.0 software, the .ADM template to allow for Group Policy settings, and the UNC protocol handler to allow indexing of shared network directories and shared FAT drives. The 32-bit Windows XP package contains 22 stand-alone language installers. This includes English.[/quote]

Most likely you want the XP 32-bit version.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast