2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a table called people, a table called tests and a table called data. To make the database work a little like excel I added all the records in tests for all the records in people into the data table. The problem is now if I add a new test I have to add that test is each record in people into the data table.

So I'm using a form to manage the tests table. On a update I want to create a procedure that will create in the records in the data table for the new tests. Is there some quick code to do this, something like.

Do while recordset (tests).eof

insert record (new test from from, person from people) in database

next

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sarnelli' post='781491' date='24-Jun-2009 12:13']I have a table called people, a table called tests and a table called data. To make the database work a little like excel I added all the records in tests for all the records in people into the data table. The problem is now if I add a new test I have to add that test is each record in people into the data table.

So I'm using a form to manage the tests table. On a update I want to create a procedure that will create in the records in the data table for the new tests. Is there some quick code to do this, something like.[/quote]

First of all, this needs to be done in the AfterInsert event of your form. Then, you need to use an append query to do it rather than cycling through a recordset of all the people. Let's assume you have a txtTestID control on your form that you enter Tests on; and also assume TestID is numeric. The code would be as simple as:

Code:
    dim strSQL as String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO Data (PeopleID, TaskID) SELECT PeopleID, " & myTestID & " AS TestID FROM People"
    currentdb.execute strSQL, dbseechanges
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.