3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our computer systems have been running very slow and so I looked at the processes in the Task Manager which showed Rtvscan.exe was using 70,000 + of memory. Is this necessary for our Symantec Anti-Virus to run correctly? Are there any options?
    lynndelap

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='lynndelap' post='781494' date='24-Jun-2009 11:26']Our computer systems have been running very slow and so I looked at the processes in the Task Manager which showed Rtvscan.exe was using 70,000 + of memory. Is this necessary for our Symantec Anti-Virus to run correctly? Are there any options?[/quote]

Rtvscan.exe is the real time scanning component of Symantec A/V. If you want files checked dynamically when they are added or changed it is important. Make sure your Symantec software is up-to-date.

See this thread rtvscan.exe at 99[%] CPU - version 7.60. for more discussion and options. NOTE: just scroll down to the bottom of the page do NOT click "View the solution free for 7 days".

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Rtvscan.exe belongs to the corporate edition of Symantec AntiVirus. Unfortunately, the corporate version is much more resource-hungry than recent versions of Norton AntiVirus from the same company. Hopefully Symantec AntiVirus will become as light-weight as Norton AntiVirus 2009 in the future.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='781525' date='24-Jun-2009 21:42']See this thread rtvscan.exe at 99[%] CPU - version 7.60. for more discussion and options. NOTE: just scroll down to the bottom of the page do NOT click "View the solution free for 7 days".[/quote]
    Direct links to Experts Exchange don't work - the solutions will not be displayed. For some reason, links from search engines such as Google or Bing do work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='HansV' post='781564' date='24-Jun-2009 17:00']Direct links to Experts Exchange don't work - the solutions will not be displayed. For some reason, links from search engines such as Google or Bing do work.[/quote]

I think I noticed that before and didn't ivnestigate it.
    I'll try to avoid those links in the future.

Thanks Hans

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I just finished downloading and am now running registryeasy.com to see if this will help at all. Are there any other pc cleanup tools that you would recommend?
    lynndelap

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Registryedit - So I ran it and saw all the "supposed" errors but in order to fix it I have to register and pay! So what is a FREE download???? I ran into this with other so called "Free downloads"! Are there any good, truly free ones out there?
    lynndelap

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't like those programs that lure you into buying them by providing a free download that invariably reports that there's a lot wrong with your PC, but you need to pay to do anything about it.

The merit of registry cleaners is debatable, but CCleaner is a pretty safe one, and it's completely free.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='782480' date='30-Jun-2009 19:32']I don't like those programs that lure you into buying them by providing a free download that invariably reports that there's a lot wrong with your PC, but you need to pay to do anything about it.

The merit of registry cleaners is debatable, but CCleaner is a pretty safe one, and it's completely free.[/quote]

Thank you Hans. I will give that one a try.
    lynndelap