Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='790264' date='22-Aug-2009 16:04']So you did! And now we have the download links 'n all!

Alan[/quote]

I provided a download link in post #2 of this topic

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='790274' date='22-Aug-2009 12:54']I provided a download link in post #2 of this topic [/quote]

I used the post #2 link.

Hans and Stuart have raised a subject that should be a new thread, but that I will mention here where it might get some attention: Stickware.

Many programs are available as stand-alone affairs that can be saved to a stick, and given the capacity and prices of sticks these days it might be worth compiling a list of such programs. Hans doesn't like many utilities on his computer, but there is no need to have this program on the computer. It can reside on a stick, along with a large number of other utilities. I am referring to a normal stick, not a U3, although there is a place for those as well. We might have a separate stick for online use, with the stick (non-U3) version of RoboForm, for example, and another for programs. One of many benefits is that you only need to buy one licence for multiple computers if you are a single user like me. I suggest we start a list.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Such software is often called "portable". If you search this forum for portable you'll find several topics dealing with portable software.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah and it doesn't have to be a "stick" as you call it. Many "techies" keep a toolbox CD or DVD of portable tools they use frequently, especially those who are out and about for one reason or another.

I have mine on a CD (I keep it in the car!) ...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790225' date='22-Aug-2009 01:11']FastStone Capture (including the last free version) can capture a scrolling window with both horizontal and vertical scroll bars into a single large picture.[/quote]
    As I'm sure you remember, I too use FastStone Capture (latest version) and I clipped a nice picture of the Revo screen, both vertical and horizontal scroll, as a test. I'll do it again when I receive my "official" copy of Windows 7. It should prove very helpful in jogging this old guy's memory!

As an aside, I also tried Belarc and it's list is not as "nice and clean" as FastStone's although I didn't try to compare it to Revo.

I also found a script at VBScript Tools by Bill James (a MS MVP; about halfway down, called "List Installed Programs") that makes a very nice list, but it's got a LOT more entries than shown in Revo. Might be registry "garbage" since I don't like to use registry cleaners.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='790291' date='22-Aug-2009 15:41']As I'm sure you remember, I too use FastStone Capture (latest version) and I clipped a nice picture of the Revo screen, both vertical and horizontal scroll, as a test. I'll do it again when I receive my "official" copy of Windows 7. It should prove very helpful in jogging this old guy's memory!

As an aside, I also tried Belarc and it's list is not as "nice and clean" as FastStone's although I didn't try to compare it to Revo.

I also found a script at VBScript Tools by Bill James (a MS MVP; about halfway down, called "List Installed Programs") that makes a very nice list, but it's got a LOT more entries than shown in Revo. Might be registry "garbage" since I don't like to use registry cleaners.[/quote]

Thanks to all for the feedback. I might check Gizmo's list and see how many applications on that are installable on their own, but it needn't be freeware nor 'utilities' for my purposes. I'm just taking a hard look at what I now know enough to call 'portable' applications.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='790274' date='23-Aug-2009 02:54']I provided a download link in post #2 of this topic [/quote]
    Me also in post #9 of this topic. Download links abound!

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just tested the freeware version of Faststone capture with Windows 7 and successfully captured a scrolling window from Internet Explorer 8. I wasn't expecting it to work flawlessly, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    A week ago I was wanting to do some screen captures to use for showing my grown children how to use some basic computer security software, and ended up in this thread. I had never done a screen capture before. After reading through here, and after seeing that the Windows Snip Tool wasn't going to cut it for me, and that the newest version was Win 7 64-bit compatible, I downloaded the FastStone Capture free trial mentioned above and was absolutely thrilled with both the quality of the screen captures and the ease with which I was immediately able to do exactly what I wanted to do with it. I had also downloaded the tutorial for instructions, but I probably could have figured it out without it. Last night I purchased the family license (lifetime updates for up to 5 computers) and am installing FastStone on both of my machines as well as the new ones my kids are getting for Christmas.

I'm relating all of this for two reasons: to thank those who posted above with good recommendations about this software, and to encourage future readers of this thread to give the free trial a go.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    After reading through here, and after seeing that the Windows Snip Tool wasn't going to cut it for me, and that the newest version was Win 7 64-bit compatible,
    What is it that snipping tool can not do for you?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    What is it that snipping tool can not do for you?
    Actually, it wasn't a matter of the snipping tool not doing what I wanted to do, but rather that I felt that the quality of the screen captures was poor. I should have chosen my words better.
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123