Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ive created our company styles as Style Sets.

By default Microsoft saved my style set template to the users profile eg

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>Application Data\Microsoft\QuickStyles

For ease of deployment to all pcs, I was testing using the Microsoft default location for quickStyles
    eg

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\1033\QuickStyles\

I did 2 things
    1. created new styles sets and saved in microsoft default location
    2. physically moved the style templates from profile location to microsoft default location

In the microsoft default location my style templates dont display in Word Home Ribbon, in Style Group, Change Styles, Style Set.
    it only displays the default microsoft style templates.
    The only time my custom style templates is when the custom style templates are located in the profile.

my questions are:
    1.crosoft default location for quick styles sets - displaying only microsoft templates, it should be flexible to display any template in this location - do you know if this is by design? or a bug?
    2. For Office 2007 under the users profile more microsoft folders exist - is microsoft attempting to move forward towards profile storage?
    3. deployment plans - does it really matter if templates are located under the profile or locaiton
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates?
    any recommendations for deployments?

any info would be greatly welcomed!

diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Diana,

A lot of interesting issues, that apparently no one here has yet dealt with.

Perhaps you could trying posing these questions to Microsoft's Word team? - they have a blog that covers 2007 issues here: http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...d/default.aspx

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Diana' post='781613' date='24-Jun-2009 22:03']did 2 things

In the microsoft default location my style templates dont display in Word Home Ribbon, in Style Group, Change Styles, Style Set.
    it only displays the default microsoft style templates.
    The only time my custom style templates is when the custom style templates are located in the profile.

my questions are:
    1.crosoft default location for quick styles sets - displaying only microsoft templates, it should be flexible to display any template in this location - do you know if this is by design? or a bug?
    2. For Office 2007 under the users profile more microsoft folders exist - is microsoft attempting to move forward towards profile storage?
    3. deployment plans - does it really matter if templates are located under the profile or locaiton
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates?
    any recommendations for deployments?
    any info would be greatly welcomed![/quote]
    1. Anything in \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates can be overwritten during updates from the vendor and would be lost if the program is uninstalled or reinstalled. So my guess is that the behavior you noticed is by design to discourage such placement and to help prevent user data loss.
    2. The application data folders in documents & settings are for storing user-specified (including corporate-specified) settings and information (not the data files/documents, which reside in My Documents). Most Windows-compliant programs today do this.
    Pam Caswell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    yes ...you know what happens to pioneers dont you? they get shot in the behind with arrows

ill continue researching and see what reveals itself...

many thanks

diana

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only the Quick Style templates that ship with Microsoft Office are recognized in the application level folder. You can delete those templates or modify them, but you cannot add your own templates to the folder and have them recognized. This may be a bug, but I have not been able to confirm that. It's out of character with other features.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    many thanks richardbarrett

diana