4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I created a style called 'Number' in my template based on the Shauna Kelly article on how to create bullets/numbers (can't find the article at the moment though). It works a treat when I indent number etc.

The problem I have it that it does not restart the numbering after any heading, e.g. heading 1 or 2 or 3. I would have thought logically, it should restart the numbering after heading 1, 2 etc. Anyway, the picture tells more story than I ever could.

EDIT: BTW, I am adding info in to this particular document using VB macros. Of course, if I was trying things in then I would reset it manually anyway but still I would have expected it to restart numbering after a heading.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you mean How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document? It's the first hit in Google if you search for shauna kelly numbering.

It looks like you haven't set up the list numbering correctly - the Heading 2 style doesn't seem to be part of the numbering, so that the paragraphs numbered 1., 2. etc. are the top level. The top level cannot be restarted automatically.
    For levels below 1, the "Restart numbering after" check box becomes available, and you can specify that numbering restarts after a higher level paragraph.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781641' date='25-Jun-2009 10:57']Do you mean How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document? It's the first hit in Google if you search for shauna kelly numbering.

It looks like you haven't set up the list numbering correctly - the Heading 2 style doesn't seem to be part of the numbering, so that the paragraphs numbered 1., 2. etc. are the top level. The top level cannot be restarted automatically.
    For levels below 1, the "Restart numbering after" check box becomes available, and you can specify that numbering restarts after a higher level paragraph.[/quote]

My Heading styles are correctly set-up. I used Shauna Kelly's instructions carefully. They seem to work fine. It is the 'numbering' (not heading) that don't seem to work properly.

So, in effect what you are saying is that 'Numbered list will not restart even though 'Headings' may have changed (as there is no way of asking it to restart at 'level 1'). The user has to restart the numbering between two sections (as in my picture).
    [codebox]1. Heading 1
    1.1 Heading 2
    1. Numbering List
    a) Numbering List Level 2
    . Numbering List Level 3
    1.1.1 Heading 3
    2. Numbering List <--------------------------- I have to reset this manually to restart at 1[/codebox]
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want this to work correctly, all the levels shown in your reply should be part of the same outline numbering scheme. I get the impression that you have two different schemes running into each other: one with Heading 1, Heading 2 etc., and another one with Numbering List, Numbering List Level 2 etc. The two numbering schemed operate independently from each other.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Hans. It looks like you've got 2 separate numbering schemes working here. Either that or you decided to have styles in your nujmbering scheme that do not follow the same naming convention.

Can you post the document? We can take a look and tell you immediately what the problem is.
    finalword

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='781682' date='25-Jun-2009 15:23']If you want this to work correctly, all the levels shown in your reply should be part of the same outline numbering scheme. I get the impression that you have two different schemes running into each other: one with Heading 1, Heading 2 etc., and another one with Numbering List, Numbering List Level 2 etc. The two numbering schemed operate independently from each other.[/quote]

You are correct - they are independant of each other. I was just trying to somehow link the 'list numbering scheme' to the 'Heading Level 2' so that 'list numbering scheme' would restart the numbering. Alas no.

It would have been nice if Microsoft would have added inbuilt styles (similar to Heading 1-9) in Word by default for 'Numbering' and 'Bullets' so that it would be aware of heading changes within the document & reset the numbering (which I assume is normal action for most documents) when a 'heading' style changed or incremented.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want it to restart, you need to make the bullets and numbering part of your Outline numbering scheme. So you'd have:

[attachment=84429:2009_06_25_05.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    finalword