Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This CNN article landed on my desk minutes after I'd been contemplating my mind.
    I had been toying with the word "egress" and used a trick I learned at school, to carve off the ending "-gress", and cycle through the 26 letters of the alphabet looking for similar words: Digress, Progress, Regress etc. It always amazes me when I'm looking for a word to use the A-Z trick.
    I use the same trick to recall names. I am hopeless at names, but I am good at images.
    I visualize the person I'm thinking of - chubby, jolly, slightly shorter than me, red face etc - and then roll through A-Z.
    At the letter "G", his name pops out "Gordon"! Of course; I knew that all along.

What generalized tricks do you use to rekindle stored data that temporarily eludes you?

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='781683' date='25-Jun-2009 15:28']What generalized tricks do you use to rekindle stored data that temporarily eludes you?[/quote]
    Sleep, if I remember correctly.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='781683' date='25-Jun-2009 10:28']This CNN article landed on my desk minutes after I'd been contemplating my mind.
    I had been toying with the word "egress" and used a trick I learned at school, to carve off the ending "-gress", and cycle through the 26 letters of the alphabet looking for similar words: Digress, Progress, Regress etc. It always amazes me when I'm looking for a word to use the A-Z trick.
    I use the same trick to recall names. I am hopeless at names, but I am good at images.
    I visualize the person I'm thinking of - chubby, jolly, slightly shorter than me, red face etc - and then roll through A-Z.
    At the letter "G", his name pops out "Gordon"! Of course; I knew that all along.

What generalized tricks do you use to rekindle stored data that temporarily eludes you?[/quote]
    Usually, I'll "sleep on it" and by next morning when the information is no longer needed, I'll remember perfectly!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='781683' date='25-Jun-2009 15:28']This [url="http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/28/memory.research/index.html"]
    I had been toying with the word "egress" ...[/quote]
    I thought an egress was a female eagle?

And who was it who first said that "congress is the opposite of progress"?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781699' date='26-Jun-2009 01:33']And who was it who first said that "congress is the opposite of progress"?[/quote]
    Whether that is true or not may depend on the meaning of congress.

Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='781803' date='25-Jun-2009 23:26']Whether that is true or not may depend on the meaning of congress.[/quote]
    I was referring to one of the American legislating assemblies.
    What were you thinking of, young lady?
    BATcher

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781862' date='26-Jun-2009 20:37']I was referring to one of the American legislating assemblies.
    What were you thinking of, young lady? [/quote]In one case congress is progress and in the other, the opposite.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='781803' date='26-Jun-2009 00:26']Whether that is true or not may depend on the meaning of congress.[/quote]
    Ah, the polysemous English language. Wait, eh, let's say ambiguous language. Now I want to see some etymology.

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='782028' date='27-Jun-2009 12:50']Now I want to see some etymology. [/quote]
    I never knew you were keen on the study of insects?
    BATcher

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782070' date='28-Jun-2009 05:03']I never knew you were keen on the study of insects?[/quote]
    Studying the Lounge Ped ant?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781862' date='26-Jun-2009 19:37']I was referring to one of the American legislating assemblies.
    What were you thinking of, young lady? [/quote]
    Then you would need to use Congress, to let me know that you were thinking of the proper noun.

... and I have been struck down with the non-swine flu for a week or more and have spent my nights on the couch, I am not thinking about anything ...