Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I recently set up auto numbered heading styles in my template (via the styles and formatting pane: Format>Numbering), and was impressed (like a previous post, I too used shaunakelly.com), so I decided to do the same for my captions.

I want the users to be able to type the name of the figure without having to manually label the figure numbers. All they should have to do is style the figure title with "Caption", and then "Figure n: " will be inserted automatically before the name they typed. The only problem I'm having is that I don't particularly want a tab after the "Figure n:" -- I just want a space.

Even when I set the "Tab space after" to indent at 0mm, it inserts a tab -- does anyone know if I can do this without the tab after "Figure n:".

Many thanks,
    Sam

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='781705' date='26-Jun-2009 02:04']Hi,

I recently set up auto numbered heading styles in my template (via the styles and formatting pane: Format>Numbering), and was impressed (like a previous post, I too used shaunakelly.com), so I decided to do the same for my captions.

I want the users to be able to type the name of the figure without having to manually label the figure numbers. All they should have to do is style the figure title with "Caption", and then "Figure n: " will be inserted automatically before the name they typed. The only problem I'm having is that I don't particularly want a tab after the "Figure n:" -- I just want a space.

Even when I set the "Tab space after" to indent at 0mm, it inserts a tab -- does anyone know if I can do this without the tab after "Figure n:".

Many thanks,
    Sam[/quote]
    Hi Sam,

Is there a reason you don't want to use Insert|Caption (Word 97-2003) or References|Insert|Caption (Word 2007)?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

No particular reason, except the way I explained is very similar to the way the auto numbered headings work (that is only the actual title will have to be typed and applying the style will do the numbering); and the users I am working with are likely to prefer that similarity, as well as the simplicity of having the numbering as part of the style, rather than using menus.

If Insert|Caption is a better way to do it though, I'll go with that.

Sam

[quote name='macropod' post='781710' date='25-Jun-2009 11:12']Hi Sam,

Is there a reason you don't want to use Insert|Caption (Word 97-2003) or References|Insert|Caption (Word 2007)?[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Insert | Reference | Caption... dialog has an option to let Word insert captions automatically for various items such as pictures and tables.