Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Late last night I received an email from Microsoft that I'm sure everyone who has registered and downloaded the Win 7 RC will get. It announces some "vendors" from whom you can pre-order for late October delivery.

I pulled the following prices from Amazon.Com for the USA and the version comparison is at: Windows 7 - Which one is right for you?

There are prices for Canada (later today) and UK but I was pulling from Amazon for the USA.

[attachment=84446:2009_06_26_053608.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='781865' date='26-Jun-2009 10:46'][/quote]
    I thought it was just the UK that had an inconsistent and gnomic pricing structure, but it seems the US has also. A masterpiece of marketing logic?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781951' date='26-Jun-2009 12:01']I thought it was just the UK that had an inconsistent and gnomic pricing structure, but it seems the US has also. A masterpiece of marketing logic?[/quote]

Al left out that the pricing for the Home Premium and Professional upgrades is only good until July 12. Then the retail upgrade pricing will be $119.99 for Home & $199.99 for Pro.

What is inconsistent about the USA pricing?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='781959' date='26-Jun-2009 19:48']What is inconsistent about the USA pricing?[/quote]
    Compare the differential between the full and the upgrade prices of the Professional and Ultimate editions.
    For full price purchase, you might just as well get the Ultimate edition, whereas for an upgrade you'd probably go for Professional.

The ratios between Full and Upgrade prices are 4:1, 3:1 and 1.45:1 respectively

It does look a bit like "think of a number" pricing...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From the information at Amazon, the upgrade is only a true upgrade to Vista. For we users of XP or another operating system:

"You'll need to back up your current files and settings, perform a custom (clean) installation, and then reinstall your files, settings, and programs. "

As a follower of http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ I would loose all my freebies and wait until they are offered again.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bob_D' post='782004' date='26-Jun-2009 23:01']From the information at Amazon, the upgrade is only a true upgrade to Vista. For we users of XP or another operating system:

"You'll need to back up your current files and settings, perform a custom (clean) installation, and then reinstall your files, settings, and programs. "

As a follower of http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ I would loose all my freebies and wait until they are offered again.[/quote]

Why?? Won't you "back up your current files and settings" thenrestore them after doing your clean install? You do have the installation package(s) from giveawayoftheday, don't you?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782007' date='27-Jun-2009 01:21']Why?? Won't you "back up your current files and settings" thenrestore them after doing your clean install? You do have the installation package(s) from giveawayoftheday, don't you?[/quote]
    I've never done it personally, but a Lounger recently posted something here that with the GiveAway stuff you can ONLY install it on the day of the giveaway. See Post 779106.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='781973' date='26-Jun-2009 22:04']Compare the differential between the full and the upgrade prices of the Professional and Ultimate editions.
    For full price purchase, you might just as well get the Ultimate edition, whereas for an upgrade you'd probably go for Professional.[/quote]
    True, that when comparing it, it looks odd.

Anyhow, here in Europe we will only be offered the "full" version, no “upgrade”, but to the price of the "upgrade", until at least 31 Dec 2009.

(Whatever that price would have been, and probably with the usual $xx = £xx = €xx ).

So, the good news is, if true, the "full" version to the price of the "upgrade" (since they had not the time to put together a 7E upgrade, they say). The bad news is, obviously, for those who planned an upgrade, where possible, they will have to do clean install.

But I read somewhere that MSFT could change that later on, if they can create an upgrade version of 7E, removing IE. If so they could charge full price for the full version etc. But the price is valid at least until 31 Dec.

And then there will be a pre-order promotion drive starting 15 July in some countries in Europe also: for example France and Germany, €49 (£42) for the Home Premium edition; €109 (£93) for the Professional edition. In the UK, however, it seems like it is going to be £49 and £99 respectively.

One of many sources these days when win7(E) prices are "buzzing":
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,3...9302749,00.htm

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782022' date='27-Jun-2009 06:13']I've never done it personally, but a Lounger recently posted something here that with the GiveAway stuff you can ONLY install it on the day of the giveaway. See Post 779106.[/quote]

You're right, Big Al... my bad! You're memory is much better than mine. This GiveAway site is not that great a deal when you consider that you cannot reinstall a product even for legitimate reasons.

Bob_D: My apologies.
    Regards,
    PaulB