Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade path

Thanks
    My main OS is Vista Ultimate. I do not belong to a domain nor do I want to. I do not encrypt my files. I use Shadow Protect for backups and taking images. I do not take control of other people's desktops (Remote Desktop something-or-other). All that to say that, in my case at least, Ultimate is probably overkill.

Should I downgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium when it is released? I don't think I would be "losing" anything and I would save a few bucks to boot.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782075' date='27-Jun-2009 19:55']Any thoughts or comments?[/quote]
    If you never, ever, think you will be doing the 'business functions' which you describe, then even Windows 7 Professional is overkill. Personally that's the one I would want to get, because I do those sort of things, including VPNing into work.

Which you choose may depend on the relative prices in your locale of upgrade vs. new purchase, Professional vs. Home Premium, 'honeymoon period/happy hour' vs. the normal situation...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782075' date='27-Jun-2009 14:55']My main OS is Vista Ultimate. I do not belong to a domain nor do I want to. I do not encrypt my files. I use Shadow Protect for backups and taking images. I do not take control of other people's desktops (Remote Desktop something-or-other). All that to say that, in my case at least, Ultimate is probably overkill.[/quote]
    I dunno Paul, I think I'm gonna go with the Professional Upgrade, even though it's $100 bucks rather than the Home Premium at $50 bucks. My reasoning is, even though I'm not "employed" per se and don't connect to domains, I do have an in-home LAN and like the idea of these two additional elements of the Pro vs. Home:

[attachment=84465:2009_06_27_181349.png]

(I'm not sure that this "XP Mode" is really gonna help, but I prefer to have the extra insurance. Good luck in deciding what to do!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782075' date='27-Jun-2009 14:55']My main OS is Vista Ultimate. Should I downgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium when it is released?[/quote]
    According to the published Upgrade Path, Windows 7 Ultimate is the ONLY version that allows an "upgrade" for current users of Vista Ultimate. The other versions (Home Premium and Professional) BOTH require a CLEAN install if you are currently using Vista Ultimate.

Obviously the best procedure is a clean install, but many users still find it convenient and less troublesome to "upgrade". Current Vista Ultimate users won't have this option if they choose either of the first two W7 versions. As well, to the dismay of many, MS is NOT offering the "half-price" special for Windows 7 Ultimate (if ordered before July 11).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782097' date='27-Jun-2009 23:22'](I'm not sure that this "XP Mode" is really gonna help, but I prefer to have the extra insurance. Good luck in deciding what to do!)[/quote]
    Big Al - are you sure your CPU chip actually supports XP mode? See Ed Bott's articles...
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782144' date='28-Jun-2009 03:50']Big Al - are you sure your CPU chip actually supports XP mode?[/quote]
    Quite an eye opener. Thanks...

[attachment=84473:2009_06_28_060638.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks for all the input. Some of your comments have raised further questions.

BATcher: I don't foresee using VPN but are you saying that Win7 Pro or Ultimate is required for VPN? (Off topic, what is the name of the remote desktop software you use... Cross Link?)

Big Al: You introduced so much FUD into this thread I thought you may have been a former employee of IBM! Oh, wait... . You do bring up valid points, though. I see that Windows XP mode may not work with your current hardware. Has this affected you choice of versions? Do you currently use the Vista backup program? I'd be interested in seeing your daily/weekly/monthly backup procedures. Perhaps you could post them here as a public service, or provide a link if you already have.

Rebel: Thanks for pointing that out but it was always my intention to "clean house" by doing a clean install. I had not, however, noticed that the pre-order special did not include Ultimate. All the more reason to consider other options.

Again, thanks.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782236' date='29-Jun-2009 01:40']Thanks for all the input. Some of your comments have raised further questions.

BATcher: I don't foresee using VPN but are you saying that Win7 Pro or Ultimate is required for VPN? (Off topic, what is the name of the remote desktop software you use... Cross Link?)[/quote]
    I don't know the answer to your first question, since I'm still using Windows XP Pro.
    I'm using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection 6 (MSTSC.EXE) to connect in to work.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782236' date='28-Jun-2009 20:40']Big Al: You introduced so much FUD into this thread I thought you may have been a former employee of IBM! Oh, wait... . You do bring up valid points, though. I see that Windows XP mode may not work with your current hardware. Has this affected you choice of versions? Do you currently use the Vista backup program? I'd be interested in seeing your daily/weekly/monthly backup procedures. Perhaps you could post them here as a public service, or provide a link if you already have.[/quote]
    Here's a link to a long exchange of ideas among and between several of us here in The Lounge: Post 759143 . . . (Feb. 2009)

Whether XP Mode works or not, I'm still going with the Pro version, "just in case" ...

Thanks
    Ed Bott has posted a very informative article entitled Do you need more than Windows Home Premium? It provides a good side-by-side comparison of the various versions of Window 7 (and even Mac OSX). By removing much of the FUD surrounding Windows features, it has convinced me that, for my purposes, Home Premium is more than adequate for my needs.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='782529' date='01-Jul-2009 04:27']Ed Bott has posted a very informative article entitled Do you need more than Windows Home Premium? It provides a good side-by-side comparison of the various versions of Window 7 (and even Mac OSX). By removing much of the FUD surrounding Windows features, it has convinced me that, for my purposes, Home Premium is more than adequate for my needs.[/quote]
    Thanks, Paul - good pointer!

I was interested by the line:
    All editions of Windows 7 will be available in x86 and x64 versions and will ship with dual media.
    First time I've seen mention of this!
    BATcher

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782536' date='01-Jul-2009 00:59']I was interested by the line:
    All editions of Windows 7 will be available in x86 and x64 versions and will ship with dual media.
    First time I've seen mention of this![/quote]

Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Does that date me or what?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    I pre-ordered Windows 7 HP from an online retailer last night. I was surprised to see that the Pro version was sold out. I don't know if this applies only to this retailer (Bestbuy.ca) or to the country as a whole.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB' post='782529 View Post
    They may have started with Vista because when I got Vista about a year ago, it came with both 32 and 64 bit DVDs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782536' date='30-Jun-2009 21:59']All editions of Windows 7 will be available in x86 and x64 versions and will ship with dual media.[/quote]

BUT there is ONLY one key code, and it can not be used for the second OS once used, but one can BUY a second key code for the second OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast