Thanks
    For this question, I'm assuming that a PC has 4 GB of real memory installed, and thus a motherboard which supports that at least that much real memory.

It seems fairly well appreciated that a 32-bit operating system can address a maximum of 4 GB of virtual memory (e.g. see here), and for various reasons the amount that can be used by the operating system is just less than 3.5 GB.

Some of the newer add-in graphics cards seem to have positively huge amounts of memory on them, perhaps as much as 1 GB.

My question: Does the graphics memory usurp some of the ~3.5 GB of virtual memory address space, thus meaning (in the above circumstance) that Vista 32-bit would see only 3 - 1 = 2 GB?

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I know, RAM, video and PCI devices all use addresses in the 4 GB (32-bit) address space, so video memory decreases the maximum available RAM.

Thanks
    I can't find the reference now, but I do remember reading somewhere that dedicated video memory is addressed by the GPU (graphics processing unit) and not the CPU and is therefore not part of the 4 GB address space.

But I have been known to be wrong at times.
    Regards,
    PaulB