Thread: Maiden Name

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is probably a basic database question but what do you do when someone gets married but you still want to keep track of them by both their maiden name and new name.

My specific instance is this, we have a mission trip that we go one every year. We keep track of all the people that have gone and how many times that they have gone. Most of the people that go on the trip are High Schoolers. Now, some of those high school girls are getting married but they still go on the trip. I want to be able to keep track of how many trips that they went on as Jane Jones and as Jane Doe but also be able to show the total number of trips that particular person went on. For example, Jane Jones went three times and then got married and became Jane Doe and went on the trip one time. She has gone 4 times but 3 times as Jones and 1 as Doe. How do I set that up to keep track of it? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to keep track of names over time, you'd need to use a separate table, with a record for each name a person uses, with a start date (and perhaps end date)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (2.8 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have created something similar in the past where I have created a Usertable and related it to a table called tblExtendedUser

tblExtendedUser was used to hold data such as married name, date of birth etc. It was basically to hold other useful entity data that could be used in a query.

Another way is just to add a new field to the table where the data is held called MarriedName
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='782362' date='30-Jun-2009 09:34']My specific instance is this, we have a mission trip that we go one every year. We keep track of all the people that have gone and how many times that they have gone. Most of the people that go on the trip are High Schoolers. Now, some of those high school girls are getting married but they still go on the trip. I want to be able to keep track of how many trips that they went on as Jane Jones and as Jane Doe but also be able to show the total number of trips that particular person went on. For example, Jane Jones went three times and then got married and became Jane Doe and went on the trip one time. She has gone 4 times but 3 times as Jones and 1 as Doe. How do I set that up to keep track of it? Thanks.[/quote]

There are two parts to your question.
    I think I would have an additional field in the Person table: PreviousSurname, and when someone changes their name put their Maiden Name in there. If you thought you were going to have serial name changes for the same person (Marry - Divorce - Remarry - Divorce..etc), then you would need a separate table to hold the whole name history.
    For the trips, I assume you have a related table that records the trips that people go on. I would add a name field to that table, that records the name a person used when they went on a trip. This could default to their current name.
    Regards
    John