Thread: OLE Server

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, again, Colleagues All,
    One of my clients has a number of businesses, all of which are serviced by the same MS Access database. Each business has its own letterhead and each letterhead incorporates a graphic logo. My client has advised that he cannot find one of the graphics and has asked me to try and find it. I looked in a table of companies and found all of the graphics in a field defined as an OLE Object. All of the logos were bitmap images except one, which was a MS Photo Editor 3 Picture and yes, you've guessed it this is the missing graphic.
    When I double-click on the bitmap images, Windows will quite happily open MS Paint and display the image. When I do the same with the Phot Editor Picture however, I get the message "The OLE server is not registered. To register the server, re-install it " I have tried copying the picture to a file, to see if the system would recognise the extension, but it just comes out with something called Scrap.
    I am happy to re-install the server, but I am not certain exactly what is involved. I have the MS Office and Windows disks, but I do not want to precipitate a large-scale reinstall. I only want to re-install the missing bits. The trouble is, I am not certain what MS means by the OLE server. Do they mean a generic program or library which mediates between all sorts of OLE objects, or another which only looks after pictures or do they mean a stand-alone Photo Editor program, which may or may not be part of the Windows or Office package ?
    As usual, any advice will be received with extreme gratitude.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows is currently installed, and which version of Office?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, again, Hans.
    My client is running Windows Small Business Server on his server (where the database resides) and Windows XP SP 2 (I think) on the PCs (where the front-end applications reside). His version of Office is 2003.
    Regards,
    Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Photo Editor was part of Office XP, it's not included in Office 2003. If you still have an Office XP CD-ROM, you can install Microsoft Photo Editor as described in MSKB article Images that are stored in OLE object fields do not appear correctly. Unfortunately, you'd have to do this on all frontend PCs.

Note: storing images in an Access database in Access 2003 or before is not a good idea; it's much better to use external image files and an Image control, as mentioned in the same MSKB article.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once again, Hans, you have told me just what I needed to know. Many thanks. However, I venture to ask you one more question on this topic. My client has a number of PCs, each of which has a copy of the front-end on it, linked to a common backend on the server. This setup is designed to avoid accidental overwrites if two operators happen to open the same records. If the Photo Editor is a library within Windows, then presumably, the installation will have to be repeated on each box. However, if it is a stand-alone program (.exe or whatever), is it Ok to install once and then copy to the same location in all of the PCs ? I worry about anything to do with Windows, because one never knows what is going to land up in the registry or use some of the system processes. My reason for asking is that I am working at a distance from the client and either he will have to wait until I can visit in person or I will have to instruct the only computer-savvy person in the organisation. Hence the focus on the KISS principle !

Regards,
    Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You will have to install on each box.
    I don't know why MS decided to uninstall Photo editor when you install Office 2003 but simply reinstalling it does not always work.
    Hans is 200% right when he says that you should store your images externally and then use image controls.
    OLE sucks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Kent is correct - you cannot just copy Microsoft Photo Editor, you will have to install it on each PC, because installing modifies the registry.