Thanks
    Could Shadow Protect Desktop be used in the following situation.

Assume Windows Vista installed on a laptop.
    Back up the entire contents with Shadow Protect

Reformat the hard disk, and install Windows XP Pro

Reformat the hard disk and install Windows 7 (RC for the moment)

Would this process now give me three operating systems 'images', any of which could be restored back to the hard disk to give a Windows 7 system, a Vista system or an XP Pro system?
    (For this purpose I am ignoring all the usual Windows Update matters, and considering the 'images' to be base-level or snapshots...)

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782489' date='30-Jun-2009 14:14']Could Shadow Protect Desktop be used in the following situation.

Would this process now give me three operating systems 'images', any of which could be restored back to the hard disk to give a Windows 7 system, a Vista system or an XP Pro system?
    (For this purpose I am ignoring all the usual Windows Update matters, and considering the 'images' to be base-level or snapshots...)

Thanks![/quote]

You should be able to do that. However, if the machine has enough RAM & HD why not install a VM such as Windows Virtual PC: Home Page? That way you avoid having to restore images.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782489' date='30-Jun-2009 15:14']Could Shadow Protect Desktop be used in the following situation.[/quote]
    When I was last employed (for a salary) at the Ed. TV Network, that's exactly what I did to keep a "master" image(s) so I could setup a new PC with whichever OS was required. Of course, that was back when my "choices" were Win98, Win2K or WinXP AND I wasn't using Shadow Protect. But I think SP should handle a mission like that much better than other earlier products.

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='782490' date='30-Jun-2009 20:29']You should be able to do that. However, if the machine has enough RAM & HD why not install a VM such as Windows Virtual PC: Home Page? That way you avoid having to restore images.[/quote]
    Thank, Joe - that would seem to be a cleaner implementation, and I will 'check it out'.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='782489' date='30-Jun-2009 15:14']Could Shadow Protect Desktop be used in the following situation.

Back up the entire contents with Shadow Protect[/quote]
    1. Yes, ShadowProtect could do this easily... and you could even restore any of these images on a totally different machine IF it had enough RAM, e.g., to handle Vista (XP and Win 7 aren't so memory demanding).

2. Re: initial installation: Theoretically you could install XP on the machine IF you could find the necessary motherboard drivers, sound, video, etc. Since Win 7 is so similar to Vista, drivers would not be a problem for that installation since Vista was the original OS. Thus, it would be wise to install Win 7 first and then lastly do XP.

3. You would not need to reformat the drive in any of these instances since this is done automatically during the installation of each OS. (You are prompted to do so).

4. Lastly, a VM (virtual machine) is the ideal, IMHO. I have 3 OS's running on a Virtual Machine (VMWare Workstation); 2 XP and Ubuntu 9.

That's my
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator