5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Word 2003 SP3 under Vista Home Premium SP2. When I use WinZip to archive some folders that have been used for Word documents, WinZip finds numerous temp files with filenames beginning ~$ and ~WRL in the folders, but Windows Explorer shows the folders as empty (and it is set to show hidden files), and the CCleaner program does not clear them. How can I show and clear these files?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you click the Start button and type ~$*.* in the Start Search box?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I use the options to search everywhere and to include hidden and system files, then the search finds some system files in c:\windows\winsxs (although they begin with a $, not with ~$), but it does not find the ones that WinZip finds in the apparently empty Word document folders. However, if I search for *$*.*, then the search does find them. Why would they not appear in Windows Explorer, etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm starting to suspect that WinZip is wrong...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Murgatroyd' post='782571' date='01-Jul-2009 06:22']If I use the options to search everywhere and to include hidden and system files, then the search finds some system files in c:\windows\winsxs (although they begin with a $, not with ~$), but it does not find the ones that WinZip finds in the apparently empty Word document folders. However, if I search for *$*.*, then the search does find them. Why would they not appear in Windows Explorer, etc.[/quote]

What version of WinZip are you using?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using WinZip version 9.0 SR1.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Murgatroyd' post='782717' date='02-Jul-2009 02:11']I am using WinZip version 9.0 SR1.[/quote]

I'm not sure that Winzip 9.0 is qualified for Vista. Unfortunately, you can't get any support for it at the Winzip site either.
    Are you saying that in Windows Explorer - Organize | Folder and Search Options | View that "Show hidden files..." is selected AND "Hide protected system files..." is NOT checked?

Joe
    Joe