Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

I知 using Word2007. I知 trying to find a way that I can attach a couple macros commands to my tool bar/ribbon, If possible to my Add-in ribbon. And would it be possible to label each command.

Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='782625' date='01-Jul-2009 07:41']I知 using Word2007. I知 trying to find a way that I can attach a couple macros commands to my tool bar/ribbon, If possible to my Add-in ribbon. And would it be possible to label each command.[/quote]
    If you use pre-Office 2007 code to create a new CommandBar and add controls to it, it should appear on the Add-ins section of the ribbon. This online manual, originally released with the Developer Edition of Office XP, should cover most of the objects and methods available in Office 2007: Manipulating Command Bars and Command Bar Controls with VBA Code (MSDN).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='782625' date='01-Jul-2009 10:41']I知 using Word2007. I知 trying to find a way that I can attach a couple macros commands to my tool bar/ribbon, If possible to my Add-in ribbon. And would it be possible to label each command.[/quote]
    If you add these to the Quick Access Toolbar rather than the Add-In tab, the steps involved will be much easier: just click on the 'Customize Quick Access Toolbar' button, then 'More Commands' in the ensuing menu. This will display a 'Word Options' dialog - change the setting in the 'Choose Commands from' dropdown from 'Popular Commands' to 'Macros'. You can then add your macro to the list in the right hand column, and click on the Modify button to change the display text and icon.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[quote name='Gary Frieder' post='782703' date='01-Jul-2009 18:14']If you add these to the Quick Access Toolbar rather than the Add-In tab, the steps involved will be much easier: just click on the 'Customize Quick Access Toolbar' button, then 'More Commands' in the ensuing menu. This will display a 'Word Options' dialog - change the setting in the 'Choose Commands from' dropdown from 'Popular Commands' to 'Macros'. You can then add your macro to the list in the right hand column, and click on the Modify button to change the display text and icon.

Gary[/quote]
    Hi Gary
    Thank you I checked it out. That was quite easy. Now will I be able to attach this ribbon to a word doc that may be used on a different computers . or will it only be usable for this computer. I need for it to be able to attach to a Word.docm

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can create a customized Quick Access Toolbar for a specific document, although apparently that option is available only for the new file formats (.docx, .docm, .dotx, and .dotm). It isn't available for files you save in Compatibility Mode (i.e., as .doc files). (Actually, I was able to create a custom QAT for a new blank document before saving it and giving it a name, but after I saved it as a .doc file, I was unable to add any new buttons to that second QAT.)

I tested with a .docm, the file format you indicate you want to use, and it seems to work fine. Presumably the secondary QAT is stored in the document itself.

To create a custom QAT for a document, do the following:

With the document on screen, go to Word Options and click Customize. Note that there is a drop-down at the top right-hand side -- "Customize Quick Access Toolbar." Normally it shows "For all documents (default)," but if you click to open the drop-down, you'll see the document name. You can use the pull-down at the top-left side to choose which commands to select from, and then add commands (icons) to your heart's content.

Note that the document-specific QAT doesn't replace the general QAT but is tacked on to it either at the right side or as a drop-down that opens below it.

Hope that helps.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"
    Available on Lulu.com and on Amazon.com

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my (new) blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='782703' date='01-Jul-2009 21:14']If you add these to the Quick Access Toolbar rather than the Add-In tab, the steps involved will be much easier: just click on the 'Customize Quick Access Toolbar' button, then 'More Commands' in the ensuing menu. This will display a 'Word Options' dialog - change the setting in the 'Choose Commands from' dropdown from 'Popular Commands' to 'Macros'. You can then add your macro to the list in the right hand column, and click on the Modify button to change the display text and icon.

Gary[/quote]

Edited to correct the add to QAT instruction.

Further to what Gary says, if you want to retain the icons from the Add-ins tab, add the whole group to the QAT. Choose Customize the QAT > Commands from: All commands > Custom toolbars > Add .

Also, for sharing the toolbar with others in your work group for use in many documents, you can create a .dotm add-on template containing the macros and toolbar from W2003 and a customized QAT. Send it to others with instructions to place it in Word's start up folder so it will load when Word starts (or they could put it almost anywhere and load it every time Word starts--which is what I do when I'm not going to use the add-on again.).

The path to the start-up folder for Windows XP is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[quote name='PamCaswell' post='782792' date='02-Jul-2009 13:20']Edited to correct the add to QAT instruction.

Further to what Gary says, if you want to retain the icons from the Add-ins tab, add the whole group to the QAT. Choose Customize the QAT > Commands from: All commands > Custom toolbars > Add .

Also, for sharing the toolbar with others in your work group for use in many documents, you can create a .dotm add-on template containing the macros and toolbar from W2003 and a customized QAT. Send it to others with instructions to place it in Word's start up folder so it will load when Word starts (or they could put it almost anywhere and load it every time Word starts--which is what I do when I'm not going to use the add-on again.).

The path to the start-up folder for Windows XP is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP[/quote]
    Thank you Pam I shall into it further

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='782710' date='02-Jul-2009 00:45']You can create a customized Quick Access Toolbar for a specific document, although apparently that option is available only for the new file formats (.docx, .docm, .dotx, and .dotm). It isn't available for files you save in Compatibility Mode (i.e., as .doc files).[/quote]
    Jan,

Thanks for that information - wasn't aware of that. A use that comes to mind right away is for templates you're bringing from earlier versions of Word, to Word 2007, and that have custom toolbars (and for which, for whatever reason, you don't want to convert to Ribbon controls). By default, the custom toolbars get hidden away in the Add-Ins tab, but doing it this way, they are much more visible right up on the QAT - definitely more user-friendly.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Gary,

You're very welcome. It's nice to be able to contribute something of value here every once in a while.

I haven't had a chance to test migrating custom toolbars from earlier versions -- something I need to do -- so I haven't seen the way they appear on the Add-Ins tab. Will experiment a bit with that when I get some time (!). I'd like to know how it "normally" works so I can make a case to my clients for doing it one way or the other.

Being able to customize the QAT is really helpful. As you say, it makes the program much more user-friendly.

My only wish is that MS had built in the ability to expand the QAT to more than one row. Maybe in Office 14??

Jan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

[quote name='janbphd' post='783409' date='07-Jul-2009 13:07']Hi, Gary,

You're very welcome. It's nice to be able to contribute something of value here every once in a while.

I haven't had a chance to test migrating custom toolbars from earlier versions -- something I need to do -- so I haven't seen the way they appear on the Add-Ins tab. Will experiment a bit with that when I get some time (!). I'd like to know how it "normally" works so I can make a case to my clients for doing it one way or the other.

Being able to customize the QAT is really helpful. As you say, it makes the program much more user-friendly.

My only wish is that MS had built in the ability to expand the QAT to more than one row. Maybe in Office 14??

Jan[/quote]
    Hi Gary and Jan
    I thank for your assistance with QAT. It is quite easy using this method. A question I have is can I attach this ribbon to let痴 say to 10 .docm, that are in the same subfolder. See I want to be able to attach my custom commands to my .docm report in a way that I can down load this on CD and it will stay attached to .docm. Most people that will be using this report may have little to no computer skills. I知 trying to make it as user friendly as possible.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ababenchrist' post='783789' date='09-Jul-2009 11:13']A question I have is can I attach this ribbon to let痴 say to 10 .docm, that are in the same subfolder. See I want to be able to attach my custom commands to my .docm report in a way that I can down load this on CD and it will stay attached to .docm. Most people that will be using this report may have little to no computer skills. I知 trying to make it as user friendly as possible.[/quote]
    I think it would probably be faster to open each of the 10 .docm's and repeat these steps manually, than it would be to figure out some way to automate that process, if that can be done at all.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

[quote name='Gary Frieder' post='783911' date='09-Jul-2009 21:09']I think it would probably be faster to open each of the 10 .docm's and repeat these steps manually, than it would be to figure out some way to automate that process, if that can be done at all.

Gary[/quote]
    Hi Gary
    At the present I have saved all of the macro's and selected commands to "all Documents" and when I open each .docm they are present at the top ribbon, I can then go to Visual Basic and viewing my project window I'll see just above my project document a "Normal" folder that is holding my macro's, does this mean they are attached to each of my documents or will I need to do as you mentioned and manually save them. this is more for future reference.
    I thank you for all your assistance

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this idea would be useful to you, but you also have the option of adding "View Macros" to your QAT.

Navigate to the View tab, click the Macros drop-down, right-click "View Macros," then click "Add to Quick Access Toolbar." That will place a "View Macros" icon on the QAT. Clicking the icon opens the Macros dialog, and you can run any of your macros from there.

It's not as elegant as adding a toolbar that contains only a few selected macros, but it does give you another option (and it's relatively quick and easy).

Incidentally, I tried Gary's suggestion yesterday and created a customized toolbar in Word 2003 that I brought into Word 2007 and then placed on the QAT. (I followed Graham Mayor's instructions on this page: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm/) A very neat trick indeed, and one that I will definitely use in an upcoming Word 2007 conversion/training.

Jan

Available on Lulu. com (the book's Amazon page is temporarily out of order)

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my (new-ish) blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='784005' date='10-Jul-2009 08:37']I don't know if this idea would be useful to you, but you also have the option of adding "View Macros" to your QAT.

Navigate to the View tab, click the Macros drop-down, right-click "View Macros," then click "Add to Quick Access Toolbar." That will place a "View Macros" icon on the QAT. Clicking the icon opens the Macros dialog, and you can run any of your macros from there.

It's not as elegant as adding a toolbar that contains only a few selected macros, but it does give you another option (and it's relatively quick and easy).

Incidentally, I tried Gary's suggestion yesterday and created a customized toolbar in Word 2003 that I brought into Word 2007 and then placed on the QAT. (I followed Graham Mayor's instructions on this page: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm/) A very neat trick indeed, and one that I will definitely use in an upcoming Word 2007 conversion/training.

Jan

Available on Lulu. com (the book's Amazon page is temporarily out of order)

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my (new-ish) blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com[/quote]
    Hi Jan
    That痴 what I did. I first recorded my macros to do what I wanted, then went through the macros and cleaned them up a little. Then I applied them to my QAT from my 撤opular commands\macros with a name and a button and I also added a couple other standard commands to my ribbon. It worked great My Question is, if I save the .docm will this ribbon stay attached to .docm if I were to down load it to a CD and reinstall on another computer elsewhere, or will I need to do the add-in tool ribbon.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you've attached the QAT to the document via Word Options, it **should** travel with the document -- at least, in theory. (It should be stored in the document, rather than in the Word.qat file.)

I haven't had a chance to test that myself, however. You might want to test with a document you don't particularly care about before attempting it with one of your templates.

Good luck!

Let us know.

Jan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast