Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-ups

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I am looking for an inexpensive, easy to use back-up application that will allow me to use a CD or flash drive, back up only those folders I want back-up and then, on subsequent days, back up only new files and those existing files that have changed. I have been using Memeo by Tanagra. Every night I have to take the flash drive out because the computer will not boot in the morning if it's in there. Once I boot I put the flash drive back in and Memo tells me the back up location is "not available and files will be quequed; then it sees the flash and proceeds to back up. That's fine and not a problem, except that periodically it just can't find the flash drive and even if I use a new flash drive (thinking maybe it ran out of space), it still says it can't find the back up location, and keeps quequing files - like right now there are 148.

I figure I'm better off changing software than fooling with this thing.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782654' date='01-Jul-2009 14:43']I am looking for an inexpensive, easy to use back-up application that will allow me to use a CD or flash drive, back up only those folders I want back-up and then, on subsequent days, back up only new files and those existing files that have changed. I have been using Memeo by Tanagra. Every night I have to take the flash drive out because the computer will not boot in the morning if it's in there. Once I boot I put the flash drive back in and Memo tells me the back up location is "not available and files will be quequed; then it sees the flash and proceeds to back up. That's fine and not a problem, except that periodically it just can't find the flash drive and even if I use a new flash drive (thinking maybe it ran out of space), it still says it can't find the back up location, and keeps quequing files - like right now there are 148.
    Any suggestions?[/quote]

What operating system?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops - sorry - Windows XP Professional

Thanks
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782654' date='01-Jul-2009 12:43']Every night I have to take the flash drive out because the computer will not boot in the morning if it's in there.[/quote]
    You might want to check your BIOS settings for the boot sequence. Perhaps the USB bus has priority over your hard drive, which would very rarely be what you want. If you set the BIOS to check the hard drive first, hopefully you can solve the above problem.

Thanks
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782654' date='01-Jul-2009 20:43']I figure I'm better off changing software than fooling with this thing.
    Any suggestions?[/quote]
    A colleague of mine with simple backup needs swears by SyncBack - the free version - but the paid-for variants have more features than you could shake a stick at!

However, I would guess your problem is more hardware/firmware/operating software-based than with the backup software, as previously suggested..
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782662' date='01-Jul-2009 15:58']Oops - sorry - Windows XP Professional[/quote]

There is Karen's Replicator. It is free for home use.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='782671' date='01-Jul-2009 17:24']You might want to check your BIOS settings for the boot sequence. Perhaps the USB bus has priority over your hard drive, which would very rarely be what you want. If you set the BIOS to check the hard drive first, hopefully you can solve the above problem.[/quote]

I haven't a clue as to how to do that.

Thanks
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782821' date='02-Jul-2009 18:12']how to do that.[/quote]
    When you first start up from a restart, there is a brief notice on the screen to press a particular function key to enter setup. It could be F2 or F8 or, well, it depends. This takes you into BIOS configuration. It would be helpful to get comments from someone who has the same PC, since BIOS menus may be manufacturer-specific.

Thanks
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='782821' date='02-Jul-2009 21:12']I haven't a clue as to how to do that.[/quote]

Keep watch on the bottom of your screen on boot up.
    For example, Award BIOS needs DEL key pressed to enter BIOS. Some OEMs use F2 or F8 but once you are in the BIOS, you should see a screen that will list the boot order that your machine is set to.
    I have mine set to HDD first, CDROM second, Floppy third choice. ( yes, I still have a floppy drive for OCCASIONAL use ) There are a number of other choices available in the drop down menu for boot order.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='782905' date='03-Jul-2009 13:03']I have mine set to HDD first, CDROM second, Floppy third choice.[/quote]
    I think I've commented on this before, but a number of Loungers have said what you did and I don't understand how you can ever boot from a CD or DVD if your BIOS is set for HD first. I have mine set for CD/DVD first and THEN hard drive and I've never had a problem with that arrangement because I don't "leave" discs in the drive unless I intend to boot from it.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782919' date='03-Jul-2009 16:36']I think I've commented on this before, but a number of Loungers have said what you did and I don't understand how you can ever boot from a CD or DVD if your BIOS is set for HD first. I have mine set for CD/DVD first and THEN hard drive and I've never had a problem with that arrangement because I don't "leave" discs in the drive unless I intend to boot from it.[/quote]

In my case anyway, I have it set for HHD first because I think it boots a little faster when the system doesn't have to "look" for a CD or DVD first, then after not seeing one goes on to the HDD next. IF I want to boot to an optical first, I just hit F12 on the first boot screen and it will look for a disk first. This is only a one time sequence. Next boot will be back to HDD first choice. I know not all BIOS have that option.

Edited to add: F12 will give you a choice of many boot options. HDD, CD/DVD, USB Floppy and a few more.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='782947' date='03-Jul-2009 19:56']... IF I want to boot to an optical first, I just hit F12 on the first boot screen and it will look for a disk first. This is only a one time sequence. Next boot will be back to HDD first choice ...[/quote]
    Hmmmm, thanks Bob. I'm gonna check out that F12 thing when I boot for backup later today. I have one, but I thought it was to access the Dell installed "diagnostics." (F2 on my machine is for BIOS) Maybe it also includes boot choices too. Thanks for the heads up...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='782947' date='03-Jul-2009 18:56'].... I know not all BIOS have that option.[/quote]

Bob,

Definitely a BIOS Thing.

My older ASUS nmotherboards do not have this feature. eMachines Notebook does, Compaq and HP Desktop do not.
    Scott

Thanks
    I have an Abit mobo.

I have my boot sequence set as:

Floppy
    CD/DVD
    HD

If a floppy or CD/DVD isn't found then the machine auto boots from the HD. If I do have a CD/DVD inserted, then I get a prompt to exit from booting from the CD/DVD if I press enter in something like 10 seconds.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='782947' date='03-Jul-2009 19:56']... F12 will give you a choice of many boot options. HDD, CD/DVD, USB Floppy and a few more.[/quote]
    You're right Bob. My (3 yr. old) Dell has the same or similar. When I was booting up from backup, I hit the F12 and had to take a pix to show it to you.

I might just change my settings to see if it adds any speed to the boot process. I don't think it will because I have a lot of stuff loading at startup and I'm sure that's where my boot times come from.

[attachment=84557:IMG_0166.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast