Thread: Time Format

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I want to put a custom format in a cell for time. I want to be able to enter as example 8:36 or 13:23 where all I have to do is enter the numbers and the colon will be inserted automatically. I used to have a format for this and can't find or remember it.

Thank you,

Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

You could use a custom number format 0\:00 or 00\:00
    If you enter 823, you'd see 8:23 or 08:23 depending on which of the two formats you chose.

BUT...

This is just a way to make the values LOOK like times. Excel still stores the numbers the way you entered them, you can't directly perform calculations with them, such as adding or subtracting times. You'd need to convert the values to real time values in your formulas.

Also see the topic Entering Times Quickly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='782666' date='01-Jul-2009 17:15']You could use a custom number format 0\:00 or 00\:00[/quote]
    Hello Hans

What is the significance of the backslash in your custom format? I find that (000) 000-0000 formats a number nicely for a North American telephone number without the backslash; yet it is required to format for time.

T.I.A.
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the \ is needed to show that the : is a literal colon character, and not a separator between different number formats.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart nailed it. When the user enters a value such as 820, it is not a "real" time. If you tried to format it as a time, you'd see 12:00 AM (or 0:00 if you use a 24 hour format). The custom format 0\:00 simply inserts a colon as a literal character to make the value look like a time. The backslash \ can be used to insert characters in number formats that otherwise would have a special meaning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Stuart and Hans.
    Regards
    Don