Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to add a new "row" to the header of my Fx display. I can't figure out to do it. In the Toolbars, Customize selection there is a choice for "New Toolbar" but when I punch it, I don't see anything in the selection window that I can drag to the header. Can someone guide me, please? Thanks...

[attachment=84537:2009_07_02_182616.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782805' date='02-Jul-2009 23:42']I'm trying to add a new "row" to the header of my Fx display. I can't figure out to do it. In the Toolbars, Customize selection there is a choice for "New Toolbar" but when I punch it, I don't see anything in the selection window that I can drag to the header. Can someone guide me, please? Thanks...[/quote]

On firefox 3.5, when I select new toolbar, careful watching of the screen as I hit OK after naming it showed a narrow band appearing between the navigation toolbar and the tabbar. This expands up to full toolbar size if I drop an icon on it. If I don't drop an icon on it, it just vanishes into the aether
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='782806' date='02-Jul-2009 19:26'][/quote]
    That did it John, thank you. Funny thing is that I don't see ANYTHING like a narrow band or anything, but I dragged an icon up "between" the two previous toolbars and there it was!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Continuing on the subject of Fx toolbars...

In addition to adding a new toolbar, I'd like to make the address toolbar (URL) shorter than the present 3/4 of the screen that it now occupies (see attached). The reason is that I'm playing around with the Personas addon and would like to make my own persona. I don't think I'll upload it but rather just use it locally because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use the University of Kentucky logo as in the attachment.

But I'd like to shorten the address bar to the LEFT, where you see my arrow. I've been searching the Mozilla forum AND Googling for something third-party and haven't found a thing. I saw in a place or two where someone said it isn't possible. Can someone comment, please?

[attachment=84541:2009_07_03_074740.png]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='782856' date='03-Jul-2009 12:56']Continuing on the subject of Fx toolbars...

In addition to adding a new toolbar, I'd like to make the address toolbar (URL) shorter than the present 3/4 of the screen that it now occupies (see attached).

But I'd like to shorten the address bar to the LEFT, where you see my arrow. I've been searching the Mozilla forum AND Googling for something third-party and haven't found a thing. I saw in a place or two where someone said it isn't possible. Can someone comment, please?[/quote]

Al,

find the file userchrome.css (on my pc it's in my profile/chrome directory) If you don't have one, then create it in a text editor.
    It should contain the following lines:
    Code:
    /*
     * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
     * profile-directory/chrome/
     */
    /*
     * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
     * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
     * override default settings.
     */
    /*
     * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
     */
    @namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */
    /*
     * Shorten the Location (URL) Bar and Search bar
     */
    #urlbar, #urlbar-container {min-width: 400px !important;max-width: 400px !important}
    #searchbar, #searchbar-container {min-width: 200px !important;max-width: 200px !important}
    You might have to fiddle a bit to get what you want, and look HERE for more tips

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='782877' date='03-Jul-2009 10:27']find the file userchrome.css (on my pc it's in my profile/chrome directory) ...[/quote]
    Thank you once again, John. Yes, I've got a customized userchrome file from other purposes. I'll give it a shot when I come back this afternoon.

Thanks
    I think John's suggestion is the way to go. I tried customizing the toolbar by dragging the Flexible Space icon to the end of the URL bar, but I can't figure out how to stretch it out. Then I tried dragging multiple Space icons to the toolbar. That worked but I think there must be a better way.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='782877' date='03-Jul-2009 10:27'][/quote]
    I hope Loungers won't mind this wide graphic, but I wanted to thank John once more! The only problem I had was when I put the Search bar back on the top line, it was way over at the right end and I didn't know the command to make it left align.

So I put it on the second line and this will do me just fine and give me a constant reminder of my "sports fanaticism!"

Thanks again, John!

[attachment=84546:2009_07_03_160345.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wanted to add a footnote from an unknowledgeable (me!) person in this "chrome" business. I've done my little fooling around with the user file under direction from someone here or something I find at the Mozilla site. So, it's not like I screw around with it just to be messing around.

As you see, using the suggestion from John, I have my Fx screen nicely aligned with the URL and SEARCH bars placed in a desired location:

[attachment=84558:2009_07_05_070230.png]

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to make one more (minor) change to a previously added entry in the user file. I was going to change the color of the active tab slightly. This is something I did way long ago via another dialogue here in The Lounge. Just so you can see a snippet, here's what that code looks like and both are at the end of my userchrome file:

/* Change color of active tab */
    tab[selected="true"]
    {
    background-color: #dcdc23 !important;
    color: blue !important;
    font-weight: bold !important;
    font-size: 9pt !important
    }

/*
    */
    #urlbar, #urlbar-container {min-width: 448px !important;max-width: 448px !important}
    #searchbar, #searchbar-container {min-width: 300px !important;max-width: 300px !important}
    A strange thing happened when I changed the above background-color to a different hex number. The URL and SEARCH toolbars showed up back on the top line of the screen, stretched across the entire screen! I know the color code I used was valid because I tested it elsewhere. I had to put a copy of the backup userchrome file in place to get back where I am. Can't figure that one out.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='783086' date='05-Jul-2009 07:17'][/quote]

Al, I can't see anything obviously wrong with what you are doing. Have you tried changing the order in which you issue the commands?
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='783086' date='05-Jul-2009 12:17']I just wanted to add a footnote from an unknowledgeable (me!) person in this "chrome" business. I've done my little fooling around with the user file under direction from someone here or something I find at the Mozilla site. So, it's not like I screw around with it just to be messing around.

As you see, using the suggestion from John, I have my Fx screen nicely aligned with the URL and SEARCH bars placed in a desired location:

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to make one more (minor) change to a previously added entry in the user file. I was going to change the color of the active tab slightly. This is something I did way long ago via another dialogue here in The Lounge. Just so you can see a snippet, here's what that code looks like and both are at the end of my userchrome file:

/* Change color of active tab */
    tab[selected="true"]
    {
    background-color: #dcdc23 !important;
    color: blue !important;
    font-weight: bold !important;
    font-size: 9pt !important
    }

/*
    */
    #urlbar, #urlbar-container {min-width: 448px !important;max-width: 448px !important}
    #searchbar, #searchbar-container {min-width: 300px !important;max-width: 300px !important}
    A strange thing happened when I changed the above background-color to a different hex number. The URL and SEARCH toolbars showed up back on the top line of the screen, stretched across the entire screen! I know the color code I used was valid because I tested it elsewhere. I had to put a copy of the backup userchrome file in place to get back where I am. Can't figure that one out.[/quote]

Al, the only thing I can think of offhand is that somewhere along the line a curly bracket has gone walkabout, although I don't see where. Does your posted code match the code in your Userchrome? (of course it does! But We always have to ask )