5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A major problem started on Outlook/Word yesterday. When I am in Outlook reading an email from one of my accounts (Gmail), and I go to respond to it by using the habitual alt+L to reply to all, I get a message stating that Word is not my email editor, is not working, or is not installed. After I click "Okay," I am able to type an email in a very watered-down version of my normal word processing emails (many of the options on the standard toolbar are gray).

At the same time, after I get that message and select "okay," I then have a second and more complicated problem: my documents in Word go blank (as in the attached image) or they don't go blank but I can't edit them correclty. Whent they go blank, they have the strange measurements as noted in the attached image and the document map goes blank (please note I am working with white text on blue background).

Note: I have had this problem in the past with Outlook telling me there has been a problem with Word, but after I select okay, I simply continue to compose the emails and can go back to using Word as normal. But with this problem, I can't seem to get Word working as it should until I restart the computer.

Does anyone recognize this issue?

Regards,

JMT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd turn off Word as e-mail editor:

In the main Outlook window, select Tools | Options...
    Activate the Mail Format tab.
    Clear the check boxes "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages" and "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to read Rich Text e-mail messages".
    Click OK.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only the second box ("Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to read Rich Text e-mail messages" was checked. I unchecked them both. I guess the problem was caused when I was reading rich text email addresses? Well, we will see if this solves the problem ...

Regards,

JMT

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, that doesn't work very well. When I uncheck "Use Word 2003 to edit email messages," I lose all of my preferred options, such as blue background with white text and Word's spell checker.

Let me try leaving that checked for now and unchecking the second box "Use Word 2003 to read Rich Text email messages" and see if the problem continues and if it does, note the emial address of the person whose messages are causing the problem, because I think they might all be caused by this one person's messages instead of by emails in general.

Regards,

JMT

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed it happens when I press the shortcut "ctrl + L" (reply to all) with certain emails. Could it be that it is doing that only with rich text emails, since that is what the system is using Word to read? Is there a way to tell if a particular email that I have received is plaint text, rich text, or html to try to see if the problem is isolated to only rich text emails?

Regards,

JMT

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='783707' date='08-Jul-2009 20:21']Is there a way to tell if a particular email that I have received is plaint text, rich text, or html to try to see if the problem is isolated to only rich text emails?[/quote]
    I do not use Word as my editor. When I open a message, the window title bar indicates the message format at the end. Does Word do that as well?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does--thank you for the tip--and I found out that of the three emails that have been causing the problem (there are others as well, but there are three since I started annotating yesterday), all three were HTML.

Therefore, the problem should not be from the option "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to read Rich Text e-mail messages" being checked, since these are not Rich Text emails.

Perhaps the problem is from the option "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages," but I don't think I can bear to not have that option checked.