New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running XP Pro and during start up I have started receiving a message from Microsoft wanting me to down load software to determine if XP is legal.
    I purchased this computer used and do not know if XP is legal or not.

What happens if I download the software and it determines that I do not have a legal version?

What are my options then?

Thanks for the help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dhwms' post='782873' date='03-Jul-2009 08:56']I am running XP Pro and during start up I have started receiving a message from Microsoft wanting me to down load software to determine if XP is legal.
    I purchased this computer used and do not know if XP is legal or not.

What happens if I download the software and it determines that I do not have a legal version?

What are my options then?

Thanks for the help.[/quote]
    Simply put, you will need to purchase/download a legal coy of the Operating system.

If the machine has a valid COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) and computer is a major brand name (Dell, HP, Compaq), you can try their websites for Restore disks for little or nominal gfee's.

I have refurbished several Compaq and Dell Computers with valid COA's and paid as little as $10.00 plus S&H for the Restore disks allowing me to put valid copies of the software on the computer. you then download latest updates.

Or, you can purchase NEW Windows OS online or from a store.

Hopefully someone else will have better advice and/or suggestions.
    Scott