New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys!

I saw a similar question in my search here, and you asked the person to give more info on their pc first.. I have a fairly new toshiba satelite laptop, 4gb/320hd/amd processor, IE7, 64 bit. linksys router- n wireless to cable.

I am probably missing something very simple here on your site, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction! I was looking at my list of available updates today, and I was hoping there was a way to just enter the update number on the defcon page, and it would give your current rating, obviously changing as more information is available and as problem situations become more stable, or vice versa. I couldn't find a way to enter the update numbers I was questioning individually... am I just missing something obvious on the site?

I have vista home premium, and in looking at the list of installed updates, i think i have svc pk 1 still, it says i cancelled svc pack 2, and I remember doing that after I read about some problems, so decided to wait a bit. There is also 2 on the list that show up as failed, the same 2 several times:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB963027)

Installation date: ‎5/‎8/‎2009 10:27 PM Installation status: Failed Error details: Code 8024402C Update type: Important

and: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938371)

Installation date: ‎5/‎8/‎2009 11:20 PM Installation status: Failed Error details: Code 80200010 Update type: Important

I was one of the many that got caught in the XP svc pk 3 endless loop, and after that mess, I tried it again a few months later after I had read that it should install ok now, and it did the same mess all over again. (on my old pc) So now I am very careful to try to only install the ones I need, and make sure there are no big problems happening that would make it wiser to wait. (that seems to be the mentality to many experts Ive read,,, that when it comes to windows updates.. wait awhile) I think the other persons entry I had read on here was trying to ask the same thing basically.. is there one place to go to enter each update number, or to get a list of all the current updates categorized by how many issues or problems they are causing. Perhaps I am just not using the defcon page correctly, as that would seem to be the place? Thank you for any help! You guys are great!

SeaSiren~ (a fish outta water at the moment!

Thanks
    [quote name='SeaSiren' post='782944' date='03-Jul-2009 19:27']I am probably missing something very simple here on your site, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction! I was looking at my list of available updates today, and I was hoping there was a way to just enter the update number on the defcon page, and it would give your current rating, obviously changing as more information is available and as problem situations become more stable, or vice versa. I couldn't find a way to enter the update numbers I was questioning individually... am I just missing something obvious on the site?

I am just not using the defcon page correctly,[/quote]
    I think you may be confusing us here ( Woody's Lounge ) with askwoody.com. Two different but similar names with some connection but separate enough to not really have the answer for you. Perhaps one of the Loungers is familiar enough with askwoody to give you a tip but I'm not sure of that.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='SeaSiren' post='782944' date='03-Jul-2009 18:27']I saw a similar question in my search here, and you asked the person to give more info on their pc first.. I have a fairly new toshiba satelite laptop, 4gb/320hd/amd processor, IE7, 64 bit. linksys router- n wireless to cable.[/quote]

I think you'll find a range of opinion here. Myself and others regularly install Microsoft serivce packs and patches shortly after they are released with no problems. Other are more conservative and wait a while or pcik and choose which fixes to install.

For a service pack, I always recommend two things. One, backup your system before you install. Two, download and use the full version of the service pack not the Windows/Microsoft update. I have had much better luck with full versions. They are always much bigger than the download from WU.

For XP SP-3 see Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Don't be put off by the name. It is just the full version.

For Vista SP-2 see Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465).

Once installed be sure to visit WU to get the latest patches.

BTW, you might want to burn the downloads to a CD/DVD. If you ever need them again you'll already have them.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If there is a problem with your system that means you cannot install Windows XP SP3 then I think you need to deal with it.

The approach I would take is to:
    • Use Autostreamer to create a slipstreamed CD that includes SP3 into the installation media
    • Make an image backup of the PC (so that you can get back to the current configuration if it all goes wrong)
    • Open the backup and restore one or two files from it, to make sure that you really can use it
    • Use the slipstreamed CD to reinstall Windows, taking the option to delete and recreate all partitions on the disk, so that you just have a clean installation of Windows with nothing else on the disk
    • Reinstall all your other software
    • Restore your data files from the image backup

Edited to add
    I just realised that you are now running Vista, so I guess the information about XP SP3 is just a comment on your previous experiences