4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone else use Copernic Desktop Search and are they having problems with it? Mine refuses to do its scheduled update each day and even after three or four attempts at manually updating still does not index all the day's emails or documents. Previously CDS support offered several suggestions, none of which worked. Now they do not even respond to any queries.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='782961' date='03-Jul-2009 23:34']Does anyone else use Copernic Desktop Search and are they having problems with it? Mine refuses to do its scheduled update each day and even after three or four attempts at manually updating still does not index all the day's emails or documents. Previously CDS support offered several suggestions, none of which worked. Now they do not even respond to any queries.[/quote]
    I personally do not use this product but know someone who does. You do not mention what version you are using (Home, Professional, or Corporate) but I will PREsume you are talking about Home Version.

The problem my friend ran into was similar to yours and received little help from CDS other than to upgrade to Professional or Corporate versions. He was thinking of doing that when he left the computer on over the weekend after performing some disk cleaning services and re-compressed his mail folders. When he came back to his computer 2-3 days later, the indexing was working again.

He tried providing the information to CDS but got no responce, other than upgrading would "PROBABLY" keep the problem from happening again.

This was about 8-12 month ago.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='782979' date='05-Jul-2009 01:01']I personally do not use this product but know someone who does. You do not mention what version you are using (Home, Professional, or Corporate) but I will PREsume you are talking about Home Version.

The problem my friend ran into was similar to yours and received little help from CDS other than to upgrade to Professional or Corporate versions. He was thinking of doing that when he left the computer on over the weekend after performing some disk cleaning services and re-compressed his mail folders. When he came back to his computer 2-3 days later, the indexing was working again.

He tried providing the information to CDS but got no responce, other than upgrading would "PROBABLY" keep the problem from happening again.

This was about 8-12 month ago.[/quote]
    Yes, I am using the free Home version. I will try compacting my mail folders and see what happens tonight. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='782961' date='04-Jul-2009 14:34']Does anyone else use Copernic Desktop Search and are they having problems with it? Mine refuses to do its scheduled update each day and even after three or four attempts at manually updating still does not index all the day's emails or documents. Previously CDS support offered several suggestions, none of which worked. Now they do not even respond to any queries.[/quote]

I use Home Edition version 2.3 (Build 30). I tried version 3 and found the crippled feature set made the free version very limited (see Copernic Desktop Search - The Search Engine for Your PC) and the whole operation seemed more sluggish. And I don't think I'm alone in my impressions: Copernic Desktop Search Free Download and Reviews - Fileforum.

Looks like you can still "upgrade" to the older version here: Copernic Desktop Search 2. software , Copernic Desktop Search 2. software free download.

Alan

Thanks
    I still use the old 6.1 version of X1 (last free version) and it works well. Not sure if it will continue to work with Win7, so I might have to move to a different app. At least I know that Copernic won't be one I'll be trying.

What about Google Desktop Search?
    http://desktop.google.com/

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='782961' date='04-Jul-2009 00:34'][/quote]
    Is Windows Search out of the question? I've been using it for quite some time and I haven't been able to find any fault with it.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='782979' date='05-Jul-2009 01:01']I personally do not use this product but know someone who does. You do not mention what version you are using (Home, Professional, or Corporate) but I will PREsume you are talking about Home Version.

This was about 8-12 month ago.[/quote]

As I said in my earlier reply I compacted all email folders and did a disk cleanup but unfortunately the scheduled update did not take place again tonight. After three manual updates of the entire index and four manual updates of the email index I finally got everything indexed but what a bother. I may take up other posters' suggestions of reverting to an earlier version. It is a pity beacuse until a few weeks ago the program worked perfectly. Still no response from CDS support site so apparently they don't give a damn.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When Copernic 3 stopped indexing networked drives I installed Exalead Desktop Search . It's not so intuitive as Copernic 2, but it works across the network and works well when you get the hang of it. It is browser based, and on my work PC it defaults to loading in Internet Explorer, but I can run from a shortcut in Opera just fine.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='783082' date='05-Jul-2009 05:44']As I said in my earlier reply I compacted all email folders and did a disk cleanup but unfortunately the scheduled update did not take place again tonight. After three manual updates of the entire index and four manual updates of the email index I finally got everything indexed but what a bother. I may take up other posters' suggestions of reverting to an earlier version. It is a pity because until a few weeks ago the program worked perfectly. Still no response from CDS support site so apparently they don't give a damn.[/quote]

I contacted my friend to see if he ever got a response from CDS. He replied yesterday that he never did receive any news from CDS. when the problem re-occurred several months later, he went to the Professional Version on the work computer which apparently works fine.

For the home computer, he is using Windows Search, which I believe JOHN mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Edited to correct spelling
    Scott

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ibe98765' post='783064' date='05-Jul-2009 14:12']I still use the old 6.1 version of X1 (last free version) and it works well. Not sure if it will continue to work with Win7, so I might have to move to a different app. At least I know that Copernic won't be one I'll be trying.

What about Google Desktop Search?
    http://desktop.google.com/[/quote]

Personally, I found Google Desktop a lesser product than the old Copernic. Apart from its kindergarten interface for 4 year olds, Google conflicted with other software and performed slower in all areas. Copernic also offered much better file previewing capabilities.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='782961' date='04-Jul-2009 00:34']Is Windows Search out of the question? I've been using it for quite some time and I haven't been able to find any fault with it.[/quote]

I tried Windows Search but unfortuantely it cannot find anything in Outlook Express even after leaving it running overnight to get its initial indexing done.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='783162' date='05-Jul-2009 20:56']I tried Windows Search but unfortuantely it cannot find anything in Outlook Express even after leaving it running overnight to get its initial indexing done.[/quote]

Did you change the default setup to index the OE data?

Joe
    Joe