Thread: Data Validation

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't dream up a logical reason for why one has to specify a minimum and Maximum in the (Excel 2000) settings tab when specifying a Whole Number.
    The "data" box insists on a relational operator, and the tab insists on a Minimum and Maximum value.

I can understand requiring a Min/Max value once one has requested a relational operator,
    but for the life of me I can't see why one couldn't allow a data validation rule to state, simply "must be a whole number".

That is, I suspect this is another poorly-thought out design feature - the programming team having decided that one HAS to have a relational operator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (22.9 KB, 1 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    They could have added an option "Any" to the dropdown list, but they haven't...

I think that in most real-life situations there will be limits to the numbers the user should be able to enter.
    You can always specify -999999999999999 as minimum and 999999999999999 as maximum to allow the entire range of whole numbers that Excel can handle (Excel stores numbers with a precision of 15 digits).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='783053' date='04-Jul-2009 20:19']I can't dream up a logical reason for why one has to specify a minimum and Maximum in the (Excel 2000) settings tab when specifying a Whole Number.
    The "data" box insists on a relational operator, and the tab insists on a Minimum and Maximum value.

I can understand requiring a Min/Max value once one has requested a relational operator,
    but for the life of me I can't see why one couldn't allow a data validation rule to state, simply "must be a whole number".

That is, I suspect this is another poorly-thought out design feature - the programming team having decided that one HAS to have a relational operator.[/quote]
    Hi Chris

Just for fun try the following Custom specification (assuming you are validating A1):
    =A1=INT(A1)
    Regards
    Don