Thanks
    If I am typing a page and want to use a different template for the next page, how do I "insert it? Because when I tried insert it, I ended up with two documents, so that obviously ain't it.

How can I change templates mid-stream?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A template applies to the entire document, not to part of it. A style cannot have one definition in the first half of a document and a different definition in the second half. The same goes for autotext entries and for macros.

If you want to use multiple templates, you'll have to create multiple documents.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783069' date='04-Jul-2009 21:44']A template applies to the entire document, not to part of it. A style cannot have one definition in the first half of a document and a different definition in the second half. The same goes for autotext entries and for macros.

If you want to use multiple templates, you'll have to create multiple documents.[/quote]

Hans, so then if I do a weekly report with a cover sheet, body pages, and reference page at the end, I'd create that all as one template?

Also, when I edit a header, there's a field that is there (automatically) for header data. How do I insert a field like that (in my template) to guide the user on title/author placement etc.?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can insert section breaks between the parts of the report. Each section can have its own page setup, margins, headers and footers.

> when I edit a header, there's a field that is there (automatically) for header data

What exactly do you mean by that?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you talking about a Fill-in field that pops up and prompts users to enter specific information?

To insert a Fill-in field, position your cursor where you want the field to go and navigate to the Insert tab, Text group, Quick Parts, and click Field (or just press Alt I, F). That will open the Field dialog. Next, scroll to Fill-in (or press the letter "F" until Fill-in appears). Toward the top middle of the dialog, under "Prompt," type a general identifier such as Author or Title that will cue the user which information to fill in when the pop-up opens. When you've finished, OK out of the dialog and save the template.

Typically you would insert a separate Fill-in field for each bit of information you want the user to type, but it depends on the format and other variables. If you're doing a Fill-in field for recipients of a letter, for example, you might use just one Fill-in field for all of an individual's contact information -- name, company, street address, city/state/zip (or province), etc. Otherwise, the serial pop-ups could get annoying.

One important caution about using Fill-in fields: The pop-ups won't appear unless users use the Office button, New to open a blank document based on the template you create. Other methods of opening a document based on the template will not trigger the pop-ups.

This is just a quick and dirty explanation, but it should point you in the right direction (if I'm understanding what you're trying to do).

Let us know.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"
    Available on Lulu.com and on Amazon.com

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my blog: http://compusavvy.wordpress.com
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='783118' date='05-Jul-2009 09:40']Are you talking about a Fill-in field that pops up and prompts users to enter specific information?

To insert a Fill-in field, position your cursor where you want the field to go and navigate to the Insert tab, Text group, Quick Parts, and click Field (or just press Alt I, F). That will open the Field dialog. Next, scroll to Fill-in (or press the letter "F" until Fill-in appears). Toward the top middle of the dialog, under "Prompt," type a general identifier such as Author or Title that will cue the user which information to fill in when the pop-up opens. When you've finished, OK out of the dialog and save the template.

Typically you would insert a separate Fill-in field for each bit of information you want the user to type, but it depends on the format and other variables. If you're doing a Fill-in field for recipients of a letter, for example, you might use just one Fill-in field for all of an individual's contact information -- name, company, street address, city/state/zip (or province), etc. Otherwise, the serial pop-ups could get annoying.

One important caution about using Fill-in fields: The pop-ups won't appear unless users use the Office button, New to open a blank document based on the template you create. Other methods of opening a document based on the template will not trigger the pop-ups.

This is just a quick and dirty explanation, but it should point you in the right direction (if I'm understanding what you're trying to do).

Let us know.

Jan

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my blog: http://compusavvy.wordpress.com[/quote]

Jan, I originally was just looking to have a "fill space marker" -- like you get in the header when you first create one. But this will certainly work as well.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='783118' date='05-Jul-2009 09:40']Are you talking about a Fill-in field that pops up and prompts users to enter specific information?

Let us know.

Jan

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my blog: http://compusavvy.wordpress.com[/quote]

Jan:

Let me amend my response:

That is exactly what I needed.

Thanks,
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Glad to have been of help!

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783078' date='05-Jul-2009 03:02']You can insert section breaks between the parts of the report. Each section can have its own page setup, margins, headers and footers.

> when I edit a header, there's a field that is there (automatically) for header data

What exactly do you mean by that?[/quote]

Hans:

Section breaks would work too because then I could totally structure each section separately, yes?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Each section can have its own page setup, headers and footers. But you can't have different definitions of the same styles (or autotext entries or macros).

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783168' date='05-Jul-2009 22:18']Each section can have its own page setup, headers and footers. But you can't have different definitions of the same styles (or autotext entries or macros).[/quote]

OK, thanks.

Chuck