4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Task:
    Worksheet name is inputted in Cell B2, Tab name is dynamically changed to contents of cell B2 WITHOUT using Macro's.

I have been requested to see if an Excel 2003 spreadsheet can have the Tab name dynamically changed WITHOUT using macro's or VB Code.

I could not find any reference to an intrinsic Excel 2003 function that will do this. YEARS (more than 15 I believe) ago there was a Lotus 123/Excel function that allowed this, today I think macro's are needed.

Based on the limited research I have done over the last 7-10 days, I do not think this can be done WITHOUT Macro or VB Code, but .....

That said, the SIMPLEST solution I could come up with/find is the following macro:

Sub myTabName()
    ActiveSheet.Name = ActiveSheet.Range("B2")
    End Sub

I have already been told this is NOT acceptable because the machines the worksheet will be used on will NOT allow Macro's to be run.

Yes I have suggested alternatives allowing macro's to be run by a SPECIFIC worksheet author and locked down to prevent changes.

The ONLY other solution to update the Tab name WITHOUT macro's, MANUALLY change the Tab Name.

I am hoping SOMEONE in the lounge has a solution for me !

Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it is *not* possible to have the name of a worksheet change automatically/dynamically without using VBA.

They will either have to change the name manually or allow the use of VBA.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Depending on WHY they want to do this, you could automatically change cell B2 to match the worksheet name.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783303' date='07-Jul-2009 00:34']No, it is *not* possible to have the name of a worksheet change automatically/dynamically without using VBA.

They will either have to change the name manually or allow the use of VBA.[/quote]
    Thanks Hans for the reply and confirming my suspicions - I was afraid of this.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='783307' date='07-Jul-2009 01:16']Depending on WHY they want to do this, you could automatically change cell B2 to match the worksheet name.[/quote]
    Thanks for the response Stuart,

The title of the report will change each week pending on goal data. When the report is e-mailed to District office, they can incorporate in some master worksheet.

The stores computer's are desktop PC's configured as glorified smart terminals with limited application functions for maximum security - thus no macro functions allowed.

The worksheet is a generic template with only "Input" cells unprotected to accept data.

Unfortunately, the solution appears to be manually changing the Tabs.
    Scott