Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This query relates to Word documents, but is relevant to all document formats e.g. PDF.

I have a high quality black/white only laser printer and would like to print only the black text to hard copy. I then want to use a colour inkjet to overprint the pages containing coloured graphics, with just the pictures, not the (already printed) text. It would be nice to also apply this selective printing to other coloured entities e.g. hyperlinks.

Whatever the method, it would have to leave blank "placeholders" on each rendering. Any ideas on how to best achieve this "dual printing run"?

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop publishing programs such as Adobe PageMaker can perform color separation, but this would create a separate file for ALL black, whether text or graphics. I don't know of software that separates text and graphics.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would do this by printing the text with the Picture Placeholders option turned on - this leaves the graphics out of the print whilst leaving the spaces for it. Then I would select all and make the text white and turn off the picture placeholders for the graphic prints.

This won't help with the coloured text but that might be your best option as the page positioning of the text is likely to not be exact enough to marry up words on two different printers. The slight positioning differences won't matter so much on the graphics but will be very noticeable with text.

You might have problems with borders as simply removing them for the second (colour) print with change where the text is positioned on the page. Doing a colour separation and printing the black plate on the laser is not a good idea as the darkest regions of the graphics will have large amounts of black in them.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for those ideas gents. The coloured inline text alignment might certainly be an issue. To this end, I think I can do a global colour change to something that the laser will print as a distinguishable shade of grey, against the surrounding black text. The rest will be a trial and (hopefully minimal) error process. I think some macros might be the order of the day!

Alan